Tuesday, May 31, 2011

I was Wrong

Yesterday I was wrong. I had read a news article and the date was for last year . In 2010 President Obama did not go to Arlington National Cemetery on Memorial day. I was under the impression that it was going to be this year. I was incensed. There is no other way to put it. I went to work and railed against this decision  to vacation in Chicago. I ranted and raved. Outrageous behaviour ! How could any sitting President possibly not attend those ceremonies. He is the commander in chief ! I went on and on. Being a rather staunch Republican I was doubly mad.
When I got home after work I decided to do a little research. The first thing I discovered was that not only had the President attended the ceremonies,he had hosted a breakfast at the White house for veterans wives and families. Further reading showed that he was not the first President that had missed ceremonies on Memorial day. To my utter chagrin, Reagan and both Bushs' had as well. I was speechless and feeling rather contrite. I stand corrected ! Had I paid attention to what I was reading and the dates more closely I would not be in this position.
I was wrong. Now I have to go to work and admit that I had the facts all wrong. I feel I must tell the truth. As much as I hate it,it is only the right thing to do. Oh,I'll try to put a spin on it. I'll make some joke about needing new glasses. I'll try to not look foolish. But the bottom line is, I'm wrong. I'll blame it on the internet.
I hate being wrong. I really hate being wrong when the facts were right in front of me and I didn't see them.
I am glad the President was at Arlington yesterday. I feel strongly that he should be there. He is the Commander and Chief and as such owes his loyalty to the armed forces, as much as they owe loyalty to him.
In the future I will remember to check my dates and facts a little more closely.

No comments:

Post a Comment