Thursday, May 5, 2011

Blank Paper

It was time to change the sale items signs at the grocery store. As I took down the first one from the front window I was reminded of something. Looking at the blank side of that poster I remembered what a thrill it would have been, as a child, to have that piece of paper. Wow, a big piece of paper to draw or color on ! Would have kept me occupied for quite a while. That got me to thinking about all the other things we did as children that cost very little, or nothing ,but provided hours of entertainment.
I remember putting a button on a string and criss crossing the string. Pulling the string in and out accordion fashion the button would twirl very fast and make a noise. Would do that for quite a while. Hands going in and out and then,turning real fast,up and down. Lots of fun. Getting the large cans from Mom,you know the ones juice came in, and tying them to your feet. Walking around on them like mini-stilts. A large cardboard box could be a number of things depending upon the season. Might be a fort or a boat. For a short time anyway, they worked great as sleds,till the bottom got wet and ripped out. Loved a big box. Playing marbles and pick up sticks. Don't see many kids doing either of those activities much anymore.
I remember making kites with newspaper and sticks we found in the woods. Made great pirate hats from newspaper too. Hopscotch,mostly a girl thing though,but when bored enough I would play. Playing with trucks and cars. Crawled many miles in the dirt making roads and using that construction set I got for Christmas. A big stick could be entertaining too. Spear,walking stick or pole vaulting were all possible with a good stick. Fought off many a highwayman with a good stick ! A good length of rope was a real cool thing to have. Just don't let Mom know you have it,she will take it away. Always worried you would hang yourself,or somebody else. You could do a lot with a rope.
Wouldn't it be nice if we could stay so excited about things ? A big piece of paper or a button on a string !
Children just love these things and get so much enjoyment from them. If we all could only remain so carefree. I love that look that comes over kids faces when they are excited about something. A look of almost disbelief in their eyes. Look at the size of that box ! And I can play with it ! It's empty,that's so cool !
Then they grow older and the wonder disappears. They start looking to see what is in the box. After a while they just throw the box away. A blank piece of paper,no matter the size,is just a blank piece of paper. When we were young that blank piece of paper,especially the big ones,contained a whole other world for us. A world just waiting for us to draw it !

1 comment:

  1. I still have that sense of wonder when I walk into a yarn store and wander among the rows of beautiful yarn - what could I make with that one? Or that one? I always feel like a kid on a candy shop...and my eyes still betray my excitement and wonder...:-)

    ReplyDelete