Monday, May 2, 2011

Time to digest

Just a quick thought or two about the big news today. Osama Bin Laden is dead! It has been ten years but he finally met his fate. Dead and buried at sea. He was certainly deserving of this fate. His terrorist activities sealed his fate. The thousands of lives that were lost as a direct result of his influence is immeasurable.
It is hard to understand why it took so long to track down one man. Given the technology we have today and the amount of reward monies being offered it was nothing short of amazing. He did have a lot of money and loyal followers. I certainly hope the fighting over his money and followers leads to the total collapse of Al-Quida.
It is a bit strange however,to see the way it is being presented on the news. Phrases like, a momentous occasion and a terrific accomplishment. Crowds are gathering and spontaneous celebrations being held. Has Americas blood lust been satisfied ? A rather strange thing given the liberal attitudes prevalent today. It is apparently politically correct to applaud this action. Even the President had a swagger in his step as he announced this.
I must say that even in this, we,The United States,buried this terrorist within the prescribed time required by his religion. Whether it was to avoid offending others of this religion or just a final humanitarian act is not the point. The fact remains he has been eliminated.
The final question remains? How will history view this? Fifty or a hundred years from now will this be in our history books? Will we teach our children our actions were righteous or will this be forgotten ?
I couldn't be happier that this terrorist has been eliminated. It had to be done. Given the opportunity I would have done it myself. God Bless America.
If we profess to be a Christian Nation and adhere to Christian principle this is difficult to reconcile. God does work in mysterious ways and indeed he has a plan. One can only pray that this action is a part of the plan.
The only way I can reconcile this is to defer to the Old Testament. An Eye for an Eye and A tooth for a tooth.
I will finish by saying I found myself confused. I'm satisfied justice has been served. The confusion lies in the way I feel about it.It is one of those occasions that will require time to fully digest.

1 comment:

  1. My thoughts exactly! I find it difficult to celebrate a human death of any kind. When Christ quotes the same passage from the old testament (an eye for an eye) he complets it by saying "...vengence is mine..." A true dilemma, as war of any kind is.

    I agree with you all the way through. I'm glad he has been found. I'm confused by the celebration.

    ReplyDelete