Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Out There

Ever notice how much noisier the spring and summer are? If you have central air conditioning you may not have. I use window units and so a good portion of the time I just have open windows. Let me tell you it's a noisy place out there.
When I first get up in the morning I,along with most of the world,need to make a trip to the necessary room.
This is when I hear the birds chirping away and calling to one another. I often wonder what it is they are talking about this early in the morning. It is still dark out.
This morning it is raining. The rain is a noisy thing too. Whether it is just a steady drip or a regular downpour I can hear it. You don't hear it when it snows. Even if you are outside,snow makes no sound. Rain however can be a comforting sound or a distraction. I like it pretty quiet when I'm writing this blog,like to hear my own thoughts,and the rain is distracting me. Stupid rain.
I live in town so I hear all that noise as well. The fire/ambulance whistle going off. Then the sirens of the engines. Wednesday morning the trash man comes,usually about 5am.Early in the morning an occasional car passing by. These are the people that commute a good distance to work. Yup,gottem' here in Greensboro too,commuters.
When the weather gets hotter you will hear the tree frogs.They can make a big racket. Crickets too. When I was a kid we used to hear the Whip-or-Wills but we don't have them here in Greensboro. I was afraid of that sound when I was young,for no particular reason,and today I find that I miss it. Sometime I hear a woodpecker. You would think they would get a headache and quit but they don't. Bothers me when I have a headache though. Tap-Tap-Tap it's incessant.
Yes it is a noisy place out there in the spring and summer months. That's why bears hibernate in the winter ! Only time they can get a decent nights sleep. What with lawn mowers going and the birds a chirpin' it's up and at'em. I suppose that is why they say the world comes alive in the spring. Everything waking up.
I'm thinking it wasn't as noticeable a hundred years ago though. Before central air and such. Windows open,or the cave door whichever is the case,you became more accustomed to the noises of the environment. Prior to cars I'll bet you could hear a horse coming a mile away. The winter must have been really quiet. That's why the song " Silent Night " applies too.
I do like it much better when the windows are open. I'm not much of a fan of air conditioning. When it gets hot and humid to the point of discomfort I will make concessions. Modern man is so weak. Spoiled is what we are. At least for now the windows are open and a fan will do. I can hear all the activity outside and it makes me want to join in. There is a lot happening out there.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like my life! And you didn't even mention the leaf blowers....

    ReplyDelete