Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Duarcd, a proposal

While working at the grocery store I was speaking with a fellow employee. She is a young lady about 22 years old. I graduated high school before her parents were even born. I was telling her that I had worked in a grocery store when I was in high school as well. I related how we all wore white shirts and a tie. She couldn't believe it. A shirt and tie ? Absolutely I replied. Our pants,or slacks if you prefer,could be blue jeans as long as the were clean and free of holes. We called them dungarees. The stockers were all men and the cashiers generally ladies. Now, a man might man the register in a time of need, but never ever did I see a lady stocking the shelves.
Telling this tale to her brought back some memories. I remember when most people went to work dressed appropiately for their occupation. Seems like now,anything goes. At the store where I work the one girl showed up with jeans that had more holes in them than Swiss cheese. I understand it is a fashion statement but sometimes it is wiser to be quiet. Restaurant help might be wearing shorts and a tee shirt. You see this everywhere. The bank seems like the last bastion of civil attire. Oh,a few of the large department stores issue polo shirts and aprons in an attempt to look professional,but for the most part it is a free for all.
I'm wondering how this came to be. I'm quite sure it wasn't the employers idea. I'm positive they would rather their employees dress neatly and present a profession approach. Somewhere along the line it fell off the track. The employee started dictating what he or she could wear and their conditions of employment.
I was told to wear a shirt and tie. I wanted the job,I complied. As long as the conditions of employment were clearly stated I don't see the problem. Maybe that is because I spent twenty years in the Navy and am used to following the rules. Maybe,that is why I stayed twenty years in the Navy,because I could follow rules.
I have touched upon this in some of my previous blogs. The story,"clothes make the man" comes to mind. There is a lot of truth in that however. Two men are standing side by side, one is wearing a pair of dress slacks and a nicely pressed shirt,the other is in dirty jeans and a tee shirt. Which one would you approach to ask directions ? I've noticed this phenomena myself. If I'm wearing my khaki slacks and a polo shirt I often get addressed as,Sir. If I'm wearing my greasy blue jeans and an old shirt after working on my truck I usually get, hey or what's up man?
I'm thinking we need a national, dress up and act civilized day. Duacd. For just one day we could revert back to the good old days. Remember when the milk man wore white ? The man at the service station wore a cap and a uniform. Remember when the Police wore uniforms instead of swat gear ! School teachers didn't wear shorts or sandals to teach back in my day. The only place you saw tee shirts were on the clothesline or the playground during skins and shirts games. Folks attending a funeral didn't look like they were going to a party.
I'm thinking a little more formality would be a good thing. We have gone too far the other direction. A little of "Clothes make the Man " I'm thinking these young people are getting confused. They don't know if they are getting dressed for work or the beach, half the time. I know,I know I'm an old fart that doesn't know anything. But then that's why I write a blog. To just say what I'm thinking about. Put in my two cents worth.
Nowadays more like two dollars I suppose. Anyway I think I'll propose a" Duacd " day. Let's all Dress Up And Act Civilized if only for a day.

2 comments:

  1. This very thing just came up at a church meeting as someone was bemoaning the way people were dressing at church. It surely is a new world of casual dress out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your opinion makes a lot of sense, Ben. There is a lack of respect all the way around, and it shows. I think if everyone dressed more appropriately, there would be a more appropriate respect shown in behavior and speech...in ALL of us.

    ReplyDelete