Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A " Hovernaut "

It was January 1988. I was in the Navy stationed at Textron Marine Systems in Louisiana. Assigned to the Landing Craft Air Cushioned program. These craft,that ride on a cushion of air,where new to the Navy at that time. I was there to assist in overseeing their construction. A few prototypes had been built and tested. Now they were to go into full production. I attended the maintenance course and received training in all the systems.
It was an exciting time. I lived in Slidell,La. about fifteen minutes from the plant. It was also a short drive to New Orleans. Was there for two Mardi Gras. It was quite different from anything I had done before. Going to the production facility daily as a supervisor. The civilians that worked there and did the actual construction treated me that way too. It was flattering and secretly amusing. I had no real authority other than to report my observations. I could make suggestions,but only to the Commander I worked for. I made friends among the workers and enjoyed my time with them.
After the first craft I was directly involved in seeing built was finished it was time for  sea trials. Sea trials are were you take the vessel out and test its' performance. You put it through its' paces. That is an exciting few days. Naturally you start out easy. In the end you will have a 60 ton tank loaded aboard that vessel and doing forty knots across the bay. These craft can clear a five foot vertical obstacle and continue on. Over water and land. The craft performed very well. It passed its' trials and was sent to the fleet.
I did get the chance to ride in this craft. I did,if only for a moment or two,get to be the pilot. That is what they call the man that operates this craft. That is because it is very close to flying,only at a altitude of approx five feet. Turns are very tricky to make. Side slip is a big factor. It requires three people to operate the craft. The pilot,the engineer and the radar operator. A commander may or may not be present in the cabin during ops.
Those of us fortunate enough to have this experience are called, " Hovernauts " I have my certificate proving this hanging on my wall. I don't know if the Navy has continued this issuing of " Hovernaut " certificates.
Mine would be one of the earlier ones issued. It was issued at the factory by a factory representative.
It is just one of those things that is,pretty cool.
It is a reminder of some very good times. It also makes an excellent conversation piece. It was a new technology at the time. It is old hat now. I can always say that I was there in the beginning. Now that is ,cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment