Thursday, May 19, 2011

Getting to Know

A fellow blogger wrote of exploring her new surroundings. She says she has been in her new home for five years and it is time to get out and about. I thank her for that as it has lit a fire under my butt. I have been here in Greensboro,Md for over twenty years now and barely know the names of the streets. I have been just coming and going the same old way. I know where to go to go fishing or for a picnic. I know where all the basic necessities for every day life can be found.
Those of you that have read some of my previous blogs know I bemoan the fact that I don't live in my hometown anymore. I go on about what a close knit little community we had. How everyone knows everyone else. I write about the many little pleasures I enjoyed while,"home." Well,  a few weeks ago I came to the conclusion that I an now "home." See "From Away" and "Finding Home" in my previous blogs. Now my friend,who is obviously very wise,has suggested getting out and about.
I took a small step in that direction just last night. Camera in hand, I took a stroll around town. You do see a lot more walking than riding. I have in mind a photo essay of Greensboro. The past few weeks I have enjoyed seeing pictures,mostly older ones,of my original hometown and have in mind share my new hometown. I have so few pictures of home. That's because like most people you just take it for granted. It's there and always will be,so you think. Well,times change and so do towns. I have seen small changes in Greensboro since living here. The addition of a second stop light was a big deal. Seen a few stores close or move. And of course new developments spring up. Although,thankfully,the housing market and economic downturn slowed that up. Plus,my son is now one of the town Commissioners. Guess.I should know a little more about this place.
I'm from away and that is uncomfortable. I have virtually no history here. Twenty years is not history. I don't know many people here on a personal level. Know lots of casual acquaintances. I never was much of a social butterfly type. I live right across the street from the Historical society headquarters. I'm thinking I'll attend their next meeting and test the waters so to speak. I will continue with my photo essay project. The weather is nice and it is a time for exploration. I'd better get to know Greensboro a little better. I'm going to be here a very long time. Not just the rest of my life, but a long time. You should get to know your neighbors !

1 comment:

  1. Well! You never when what you say will spark a person into action, do you? Good for you! I'd love to see photos of where you live,I don't believe I've ever been there.
    Yes...get to know your neighbors and those in town. You'll always be 'from away', but maybe you won't feel so much like it if you take part in some of the local stuff. Give it a try and let us know how you succeed!

    ReplyDelete