Wednesday, May 18, 2011

What ?

The question of whether or not Barack Obama was born a United States citizen is still being questioned. The white house has released a copy of his birth certificate. I recently received some correspondence calling into question whether the certificate is genuine or not. Two major points were mentioned. 1) His race is listed as African-American. Ok, but that term wasn't used in Hawaii on birth certificates until much later, after his birth. Prior to that he would have been referred to as a Negro. 2) The hospital named on the birth certificate didn't exist at the time of his birth. Much later, two hospitals merged to form the hospital named on that birth certificate. This second discrepancy is easily verified by googling the name of the hospital.
Now, all this I find interesting not so much because I am not a supporter of Barack Obama, but rather that there should be a question at all. I recently went to renew my commercial drivers license. I carried a hazmat(hazardous materials) endorsement on this license. I was informed that in order to renew that endorsement I would be subject to a background check by the FBI. What, I'm retired from the Navy and held a secret clearance for about ten years of the time. No matter. Also proof of citizenship was required. IE; a birth certificate or certified copy of one.My identification card from the U.S.Navy is not proof of citizenship. And at least two forms of identification. The cost would be one hundred fifty dollars and take at least six weeks.
That is what I find interesting. You have to go through all that to drive a truck carrying hazmat but you can be elected President of the United States without it ? Hazardous materials can be anything from whiteout to bombs. I can understand the need to check out who is authorized to transport them. But I really don't think terrorists care if they get a ticket for driving illegally,just sayin'. How can there be any question about his credentials ? He has access to every secret we as a nation have. He is the commander in chief of the armed forces. Does not someone,somewhere have to check his bona-fides ? Incredible.
Should not this question have been settled prior to his taking office ? I don't get it. If I want to get a job many employers are demanding my birth certificate,high school transcripts and letters of recommendations. They are doing background checks. I have to prove everything. I can't renew,note the word renew,an endorsement on my drivers license without this proof, but he can be elected Leader of the Free World !
I'm not saying this because I don't support his political views. That is not the point here. I just can't help but find it incredible that this question wasn't asked earlier. Is there not a policy that says you must verify his credentials ? We all know you must be a natural born citizen of this country to be the president. Don't you have to prove it ?  Just Sayin' I think you should have to prove it BEFORE you take office.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure you do have to prove it and I'm sure he has, many times, along the way. However, some people (the same ones that have conspiracy theories about everything in history!) need to see things for themselves. They believe everyone is suspect of everything! All pretty silly in my book....energy wasted when there are more important things to talk about. All smoke and mirrors!

    ReplyDelete