Tuesday, May 10, 2011

It's my Favorite

Favorite things. We all have them. They are those things that for some unexplainable reason we develop an affinity for. Take my current coffee cup for instance. More properly,coffee mug,but my favorite one. The fact that my Grandson gave it to me is pleasant but not what makes it my favorite. I like the weight of it and the handle. I have others very similar, but not quite the same. My wife has the identical mug,except hers says I Love Grandma,and it isn't exactly the same either.
A certain photograph can be a favorite. I have one taken of my Grandson climbing up a slide. It's my favorite. I probably have several hundred pictures of him but that one is my favorite. A certain pair of jeans or a shirt. I wonder why some become favorites and others do not. Just what is it about these objects ?
One would think Wrangler jeans are Wrangler jeans. I always buy the same size and style. Tee shirts are pretty much tee shirts,aren't they ? Yet ,they are not. Are there memories attached to these items on a subliminal level ?
Now things like food I can understand. Everyone has there own sense of taste. Things like movies and comedy I can understand. The style of clothing I understand. That is not the type of things I'm talking about.
Some people have a lot of favorites. I do not. I have a few things that are my favorite things and I tend to keep them. Others change favorites like I change my socks. I don't understand that but then I don't have too.
Now,picking an all time favorite of anything is a challenge. Favorite things do change over the years so I think you would have to quantify that. Say,what was your favorite thing in High School or when you were in your thirties. I'm thinking if you were honest with yourself you would be surprised how much has changed over the years.
For right now one of my favorite things is having coffee out of my favorite mug. Also got a favorite coffee pot. It's an automatic drip type but doesn't have a carafe. You just put your cup under the spout and push. Out comes that delicious brew. Folgers is my favorite.

No comments:

Post a Comment