Saturday, May 7, 2011

A change in Attitude

I was wondering when we went to the world of, " you owe Me." I see and hear that phrase everyday now. I see the attitude. I just don't quite understand that mentality. I was taught God helps those who help themselves. Now it seems like, let me see how I can help myself to every free program I can find !
I see a lack of pride in people that I find very unbecoming. Should you have an actual need for assistance that is what these programs were intended for. But,having that need does not entitle you to act arrogant or exercise bad judgement. I especially get annoyed with those that are getting benefits and demand more.
But this "you owe me " attitude extends beyond that. There are those in certain professions that have this attitude as well. You know the type and what I'm talking about. I should get this or that because ,"you owe me." Minorities often times have this same attitude. Even some of the illegal immigrants are adopting this.
Well,in my humble opinion I owe nothing. You must earn everything. If you want my respect,earn it. If you want me to be courteous to you,be courteous to me. The errors of the past have nothing to do with me. I do not owe you for that. Likewise,you do not owe me anything. I expect nothing. The things I have done in my life I did for money (pay) or because that was my choice. You certainly don't owe me for that.
Where the concept of the Government owing me comes from I'll never understand. The Government owes me nothing. Yes,taxes must be paid but that money is for the functioning of the Government. How it turned into a handout for every freeloader in town is beyond me. The same people complaining about Government running their lives are the ones demanding the handouts ! Can't have your cake and eat it too.
There is one exception. I " owe " it to society as a whole to conduct myself in an appropriate fashion. To be civil and act with respect and courtesy towards others. I have no right to expect others to provide for my welfare. No one ,owes me anything. Whatever I am given is a gift. I should accept it with gratitude. This is true in life as well.
 Unfortunately it is becoming all to popular to be "proud" to be on public assistance programs. The " you owe me " attitude. If people are not taught/made to provide for themselves a good deal will not. A sense of pride must be instilled in a person. To continually reward them for bad behaviours by increasing their "allowance" does little to foster that. All things change in time. I'm hoping for a change in attitude. But,I'm not holding my breath !

No comments:

Post a Comment