Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Whats' Next

Although I didn't stay up to watch the new year come in I did check it out on you tube. Dick Clark was hosting along with Ryan Seacrest. It was great to see him and he looked fantastic. I read that Howard Stern thinks he had a face lift,so what. I don't think much of Howard Stern,the shock jock ! He is mildly amusing in a idiotic sort of way. Trash humor never really did appeal to me. Enough about him.
Dick Clark did suffer a stroke some years ago as we all know. One of the effects is slurred speech. I saw a poll taken and an astounding 50% of respondents thought Dick Clark should not have been on TV. They thought it painful to watch and demeaning. I don't agree. The man is an icon. He is fortunate enough to able to speak,or breathe at all for that matter,following a stroke. He is 80 years old give him a break. He was expected to remain a teenager for 50 years. Did a good job at it too. We all age. Does that mean we shouldn't be seen or heard anymore ? It is a little sad to see anyone getting on in years with disabilities but only because it reminds us of our own mortality! At least that is my analysis. It can be an uncomfortable experience. I am not very good around anyone that is sick or disabled. That is why I'm not in the health care field. I don't feel however that they should be sequestered somewhere and never seen or heard from again.
I would be interested to know the ages of the respondents to this poll. I'm willing to bet that the majority of those voting he should not be on where younger people. Many may not have even known exactly who he is except for stories from their parents. I was never a big fan of Band Stand. Wasn't a very manly show to be caught watching in the sixties. I did occasionally watch when someone I wanted to see made an appearance.
Maybe it is because I'm aging myself but I found the poll results disheartening. I thought the people would support an icon such as Dick Clark. Sadly half do not.
I certainly hope Dick will be with us next year. I hope he is able to co-host the show. I don't care if he has to use sign language or flash cards I hope he does the countdown. For those that remember Guy Lombardo and the Royal Canadiens always played the New Years Gig and after his passing Dick Clarks' New Years Rockin' Eve. After Dick we get what ? Ryan Seacrest ?  Oh how sad that will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment