Monday, January 3, 2011

Tilted

I'm going out on a limb here but am I the only one that thinks the situation is getting a bit tilted ?
We have a growing Hispanic population,a sizable portion that are arriving illegally,and the predominant reaction I hear is, Lets' give them more.
I have written about this before and I will restate my position. I do do not oppose LEGAL immigration.
Seems like almost on a daily basis I hear a new proposal to provide benefits and incentives to the illegals.
One plan would have the taxpayers fund college for their children so they can become productive citizens .
The latest I read about would have us hiring them for intern positions in Government. The fact that a lot of them already collect numerous benefits from our government doesn't seem to matter. I hear this big outcry that we need to do more.
Some years ago I was a Navy Recruiter. The qualifications were not equal then and I would bet they are not now. Back then the minimum score required for entrance to the military was a 32 AFQT. That was a test score. You could however get in with a 18 if you were Hispanic or female. Thats' right twenty years ago Hispanics in our country were getting exceptions to the rule. By law a set percentage of the military population had to be Hispanic. They did however have to be in the country legally ! Sound like a familiar policy ? Anyone that lived threw the seventies knows about the policy to hire a percentage of different ethnic groups. Even if we had to put the average American at a disadvantage.
I harbor no ill will against any group of people entering my country legally. I do not like it when benefits are provided to them and favoritism is shown. Our country is based on the premise that all men are created equal.
Not very equal when they are given advantages others don't have.
I know,I know it is not very correct to say these things. I'm just an old man complaining about everything. Well maybe that is true but I can say this: I have Grandchildren. My son and his wife are expected to pay the expense of raising them. They are expected to pay for their college education. They are expected to pay their taxes. They are expected to pay for automobile insurance. They are expected to pay for their own cell phones. They are expected to pay for their own groceries. They are expected to pay for their medical care.
Along with all this they are now being told to fund illegal immigrants in our country. The position seems to be they are here illegally so let them stay. Well I robbed the bank so just let me keep the money !

No comments:

Post a Comment