Saturday, January 29, 2011

Celebrate

Off to my Grandsons' birthday party today. Or more properly Birthday Celebration. The actual date was last week but no matter we will celebrate today. He and a group of his young friends will be playing lazer Tag.
The facility has been reserved so let the mayhem begin. I'm anticipating a good time will be had by all.
I have been nominated to be the official photographer. I do enjoy taking the pictures and it is a built in excuse to be close to all the action.
Marks' birthday being in January does set some limits. The event has to take place indoors. With some thought and creativity activities can be found. He recently attended another party and they had rented an indoor pool. Good idea. Bowling and Roller skating are always popular themes as well.
There are several of his friends that all have birthdays in January so needless to say it is a busy schedule . It has gotten to the point where my son limits attending birthday parties to one a day. Doesn't seem likely but it has occurred on several occasions were two or more wound up on the same day.
I was telling my Grandson and Granddaughter about when I was little. I had one official Birthday Party . My sister gave me one when I was sixteen. Other than that it was always Mom made a cake and we had ice cream. Light the candles make a wish and eat. That was about the extent of it. It was the same for all of us kids. I went to one birthday party that I can recall. We went bowling and back to his house for cake and ice cream. I don't think as many people threw the big birthday celebrations as do now. Either that or I just never got invited ! Besides,we thought Birthday Parties like that were for the rich kids. The one I went to was on James Lane,UPTOWN BABY,and it was a large house. Remembering that I must correct myself and say I went to at least one other party but I was very young at the time. Then again his parents were not rich but he was an only child so that explained that.

Birthday Celebration circa 1958 I'm on the far left.
 Both of my grandkids living here in Maryland have parties for every birthday. I am pleased that they have so much fun. It is a wonderful thing for them. I'm sure they will remember their parties when they become adults.
Mark is ten so the days of Grandpa attending are winding down. Not from my part but soon he will not want Grandpa or Grandma hanging around cramping his style. This year it is still an all boy party with the only girls around his sister and maybe a hanger on. I love birthday parties !

No comments:

Post a Comment