Thursday, January 13, 2011

It isn't fair

Whatever happened to the saying,"sticks and stones may break my bones but words will never hurt me "
I keep hearing about bullying going on. The other children are saying and writing bad things. They are making fun of me. Waa  Waa. Quit crying and get over it alright ! I was told to just ignore them and that they, in fact where the ones that were objectionable people. Now it seems like the attitude is, we need to sue them and somehow bring them to justice. Is this what we should be teaching our children. Instead of teaching them to stand up for themselves and develop a little self esteem,by their own efforts,we will litigate the issue.
I hear them say,but it is different now. They post things on facebook. Used to post stuff on my hall locker,gym locker and a couple times to the back of my jacket. I just threw them in the trash. If you don't like what is on facebook,don't read it ! But I have a right to use facebook too. Yup,they have a right as well.
I didn't go where I wasn't wanted or welcomed,just common sense. Had nothing to do with rights.
It isn't fair ! Reality check; life isn't fair. A lot of things aren't fair. Get over it. Take what is given to you and what you can earn with your own efforts and be happy. Isn't this the lesson we should be teaching.
Maybe I'm just getting old and don't understand the problem. There were bullies when I was young,my parents told me there were bullies when they were young. We all handled it in our own way. The key phrase being "we handled"  If you can't teach children to fend for themselves in this world we have a problem.
Yes,we all want to protect our children. And that is just and right. To para phrase a verse, "teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime" Teach them to deal with these bullies on their own terms. Whether it is to just ignore them altogether or a direct confrontation. I know the direct approach is a little risky but life itself is risky. Stand up for yourself people. No,I'm not condoning violence. Violence can solve some problems but it is only a temporary solution that generaly leads to more of the same. We are doing no favors by coddling.
I think what I am trying to say is this, everytime something happens it isn't always someone elses' fault. Sometimes children make bad choices,just like adults,and there is no one to blame but themselves. Quit trying to make excuses and looking for others to blame.

1 comment:

  1. With 4 children we often heard "It's not fair!" and the response was always the same: "Life isn't fair!". They learned the lesson early on!

    ReplyDelete