Monday, January 24, 2011

Sharing a journey

Yesterday my Grandson was ten years old. It is hard to believe. I remember being at the hospital when he was born. I remember when he was an infant. And now he has reached the double digits. The old saying,Time Flies,certainly applies here.
His Mom,like most Moms nowadays,has a full time job. My wife has been watching him since he came home. Together we have seen his first steps,heard his first words,went with him to the first day of pre-school,put him on the big boy bus,watched t-ball,soccer,school plays,church plays and receive awards. We watched him when his sister was born and when she came home. We watched as he became a loving,caring brother who is very protective of his sister. We have seen his first attempts at reading and writing. Now he can read very well indeed and write as well as others his age.
Ten years,a decade,a lot has happened in that time. Advances in technology that to him will be old fashioned. A black president is nothing new and I'm sure a female president is in his future. His Mom got a Kindle for Christmas so he will grow up around that. An electronic book,who would have thought,but to him everyday stuff. Digital photography both still and video. Seeing these instantly are normal to him. I still marvel that it is possible.
As Grandpa I try to inspire and show him that you can do anything you want if you try hard enough. We talk about everything and I tell him about the "old" days. You know,when I was young. I have been blessed with a Grandson that is smart,caring,sensitive and for the most part well behaved. I couldn't have asked for more. I'm looking forward to the next decade with him and his sister. During the next decade he will grow into adulthood. You would like to see them stay little forever but that can not be. I'll be happy to share the journey with him as he grows into a man. Knowing Mark Gregory the way I do I know it will be a terrific time full of rewards and most of all full of love.

No comments:

Post a Comment