Friday, January 14, 2011

Reporting the News

Watching the news.It is a dilemma for me. On one hand I like to be informed and on the other it can be upsetting. All the violence and senseless acts being reported upon make me wonder what direction humanity is traveling. Then you hear about crooked politicians,global warming and tax increases. Even our sports heroes misdeeds brought to light.
Occasionally however, I see something that should be a serious issue being reported upon but I wind up laughing. Such was the case last night. I confess I wasn't paying real close attention to the entire story and only caught a portion. There was this lady complaining about Gay rights of some sort. I think it had to do with their rights to get married or whatever. As I was half heartily listening to this she makes this statement," I don't think the majority should vote on the minorities rights." At least it was very close to that if not an exact quote. This caught my attention. What,did I hear that right? This person is supposed to be a spokesman for this group and is on television being interviewed. Is this some kind of joke ? The majority should not be allowed to vote on the minorities rights. Duh,isn't that what democracy is all about or did they change that along with the new math ? Of all the lame brained statements. Sounds a lot like something Yogi Berra may have said. ( Love ya Yogi)
I understand your cause and whether or not I support it is not the issue here. If you wish to persuade me to your point of view you are going to have to do a little better than that. You apparently think the majority opposes you so you propose not allowing them to vote. That is a perfect plan I admit. I want a raise but the boss opposes that.Well I just won't allow him to vote on that issue. Problem solved. 
Well,it did provide me with a few moments of laughter in the midst of all the trauma going on in the world. Maybe we should have more of that in the news.

No comments:

Post a Comment