Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Taking the Heat

Wondering why as we get older we want our indoor temperatures to be higher. I've known a lot of older people,senior citizens as it were,and they always keep the thermostat at a rather high setting. I've noticed lately that my own thermostat is creeping up there a little. Even with that I usually have a light blanket or throw over me. My Great Grandfather wore a three piece suit every day and would still have it at least 80 degrees in his house.
I've heard it said as we age our blood gets thinner and that is the cause. I've heard our circulation gets bad and that is why. I've heard that our skin loses its' insulation value. I don't know about all that but I know I feel cold a lot. I'm beginning to sound like some cliche,I feel a draft in here !
I am lucky enough so far that I still have a full head of hair plus I usually wear a hat. So ,so much for the theory that you lose most of your heat through  the top of your head. I wear heavy socks and insulated boots and that is supposed to help. Can't prove it by me. Layers of clothing do make it tolerable though.
It is all very strange because then comes the summer. Then we complain it is just too hot outside. I can't stand the heat anymore. You hear on the news all the time about the elderly suffering from the heat. On goes the air conditioning. Then we will sit there,still wearing those layers of clothes,complaining about the heat.
Well,I for one,will not sit around without a least a pair of pants and a shirt on. Nobody needs to see my skinny white legs or bare chest ! I will spare the world from that sight.
A few other observations about heat. Why is 64 inside different that 64 outside ? At 64 it feels a little chilly in the house but go outdoors and it feels pretty good. 64 degrees in January is a regular heat wave,doggone hot,but in July it is rather cool,almost sweater weather. There is dry heat and humid heat. Dry heat is preferable I think you don't hear as many complaints. Humid heat is bad, you always hear the word oppressive associated with it. We always just called it,muggy.
The bottom line is,as a rule the older we get the hotter we like it. I sure hope this isn't the Lords way of preparing me for something !

1 comment:

  1. In EMT class they teach us that it has to do with our internal thermostats not working as well as they used to - we can't compensate for temperature fluctuations the way we used to be able to. No matter the reason, it is true! And it makes me feel guilty for complaining about my grandparent's hot houses! I thought they were just wasting energy and they were only trying to be comfortable!

    ReplyDelete