Monday, January 17, 2011

Staying in Touch

Given today's technology it sure is easy to stay in touch. Was a time not long ago when it was a great deal harder. Remembering snail mail. Not many letter writers out there anymore. Text messages and e-mail sure are flyin' though. As few as ten years ago who would have thought to put a keyboard on a telephone. Who would have thought a telephone would take a picture or record video ?
There was a time when writing a yearly report on your family and sending it to your friends,usually at Christmas,was a popular thing. Now you can just check facebook. A lot of us receive updates on every little detail. Sometimes it is too much information.
The writing of letters to ones friends and relatives was a sort of obligation. It was undertaken seriously and much thought went into what was being said. The telephone had an impact on that I'm sure. Once you could call and speak directly to the person. Letters were often saved and read over and over again. There is something personal about them. Children still love to get a letter or any piece of mail mailed to them. Makes it special somehow. I never received a telegraph. The only ones I heard about people getting did not bear good news so I should be grateful. I'm not sure if you can even send a telegraph anymore. Will have to check on that.
Most people still send actual Christmas cards,although a few sent E-Cards. Birthday cards are still commonly mailed. My Mom always saved her Christmas cards and Birthday cards. I'm not sure why. She kept them in a box under her bed for years before they would finally make that final journey to the trash can.
I seldom save mine. I am more likely to save the envelope with the return address then I am the actual card or letter.
We pretty much stay connected nowadays. With so many options available to us it is quite easy. I sometimes wish all this had happened earlier so I could be in touch with some of my old Navy buddies. Have no idea where some went. Not enough information to locate them either. One is Russell Smith and he lived in Maine. Thats' about all I know of him. Try doing a search on that ! I know it is possible but a great deal of time and effort would be needed. I'd bet now a lot more stay connected over the years. It isn't much effort to send an e-mail. More effort to write a letter and actually mail it.
Yes,we live in an age where it is easy to stay in touch with one another. Up to the minute information is available to us just about anywhere at anytime. I think it is a good thing. When I want it to be personal though I still mail a handwritten letter or note. I'm wondering if this option will remain available to future generations at all. Or perhaps it will remain as a novelty thing. Either way,stay in touch !

No comments:

Post a Comment