Thursday, January 6, 2011

Baffling

Just something I've noticed in recent years. Trends change and so too do manners and speech. I see a lot less manners being used in public settings. People are more prone to be pushy and aggressive in their actions. I just see less and less of behaviours befitting Ladies and Gentlemen. In time I'm certain it will again become the normal thing to act in a more civil manner.
The other trend; in speech, I find amusing and sometimes annoying. No it isn't the use of vulgar terms,which is rampant,and totally inappropriate but rather the use of abbreviations and acronyms. I get amused when an individual starts spouting off terms used in a persons occupation when they have no knowledge of that occupation. You know what I mean ? Went to the doctor and had to get a ps-3 test stat ! Hemoglobin levels are critical. Then when you ask just what that is either they really have no idea or they go into some big explanation. I find this in all areas. I guess it makes people feel like they are an expert or something. Was on the computer and the ram was driving a program for defrag. Uh ? Oh you mean the computer was messed up,why didn't you just say so. All these abbreviations and acronyms are fine among the people that use them daily and understand what they are but to start using them as everyday speech is pretentious. It gets annoying to me when I have to continually ask what it is you are saying. I work on automobile engines and use certain terms all the time but when speaking to someone that has no knowledge I try to explain the problem so they will understand. I understand a professional can forget this and just start talking about the issue but when a non-pro just starts parroting these terms to others I find it amusing. I am not impressed !
Maybe this trend comes from the use of computers and text messaging. We feel like we are in such a hurry that we must condense our speech. Whatever the reason I find it amusing when I know the person well enough to know that they haven't a clue but are trying to put on airs. You can fool strangers sometimes with this although I don't understand why you would want to. Guess it goes back to an old adage I learned awhile ago, If you can't dazzle them with knowledge baffle them with bull****.

No comments:

Post a Comment