Sunday, January 2, 2011

Leaving a Mark

Some years back I took an interest in genealogy. I subscribed to Ancestry.com and joined a number of other sites. Some are free and others are paid. Armed with some basic knowledge about my ancestors I dove right in. I quickly filled in some blanks. I also had a number of old photographs and a limited amount of old correspondence. On the back of some of the pictures was invaluable information. Who the people where and in some cases were the picture was taken. My great grandmother was especially prudent in putting down the information. I later learned she worked closely with a group of ladies researching their ancestors and compiling that information. I was told she had baskets full of old newspaper clippings and other documents. Sadly all this information was lost after her passing. It was casually thrown in the trash as so often happens with this sort of material.
There is one site called Find-A-Grave which I refer to often. This site is completely free and is dependant upon contributors for the information they display. I have found several of my ancestors resting places using this database. You just type in who you are looking for. I joined the site as a contributor and occasionally receive requests from others seeking a photograph of their ancestors monuments. Just this morning I received two and because the weather has changed and the snow melted I will try to locate this monument. I always feel good about filling a request. With our digital photography is can be done so quickly and at zero cost there is no reason not to. If the picture is clear enough you can read the inscriptions. Even if it only contains the name and dates it is somehow touching to see it. At least that is the way I feel. My Grandmother on my fathers side was lost to us and I found her final resting place. I then obtained a picture of her marker. It was quite satisfying. Later I even got a picture of her.
I think every person should have a marker. Something to say,I was here. I think that is the reason man has marked the places of those passed for centuries. Death doesn't seem so final somehow if there is a monument. Should anyone see your monument and read your name you are not forgotten. As I walk through the cemetery looking for these persons to photograph I read each tombstone. It is interesting what some say and just as interesting what some don't say. In older times a lot was often inscribed,some funny,some very somber indeed. In more modern times this is rare. I wonder if it is because of the cost involved or is it something else ? As one who is interested I love it when they add information. Like beloved Mother of and give you the name. Maiden names are really good information to have and often difficult to obtain.
Maybe in the future each monument will have a short video that will play telling you all about the person. Wouldn't that be great ? A quick synopsis.
At one time it was a popular practice to photograph people in their coffins. A ghoulish practice in my opinion.
At another time they would braid the persons hair and then wear it as a bracelet or necklace. Some people keep the ashes in a urn at home.
A persons final resting place should be marked. The family should make a record of this location and record it somewhere for future generations. Used to be the family Bible was the repository for this type of data. I don't think that happens much anymore. Guess now your last record is the Social Security Death Index !
That is a sad thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment