Friday, January 21, 2011

Squeaky

We truly are creatures of habit. Good ones and bad ones. We all form these habits at different rates. Some form quickly and others gradual. Some habits even come and go. That happens a lot in kids. They form the habit of brushing their teeth when they are younger and forget it when they get a little older. Same with bath time .
I am one of those people that forms habits rather quickly. That is how I started smoking cigarettes. I was in the Navy and if you smoked you got to take a break. If you didn't smoke you had to keep working. Picked up the smoking habit pretty quick. Didn't stop that one for forty years. Now I'm in the habit of getting up,getting coffee and getting on the computer. First to check my e-mail. Seldom get any except offers and advertisements. Oh,I do get photo requests for the cemetery. Then go to Facebook. Try to fill the requests there and read what was written on the wall. I'm a bit of a gossip,I admit it.
Habits are funny things. Some you can quit easily others are much more difficult. And this is different for different people. Take me for instance, quitting cigarettes was no big deal . Decided to quit that habit and just didn't buy them anymore. Haven't smoked one since. Don't ask me to quit drinking coffee though.
Houston we have a problem.
When does a habit turn into a compulsion ? When does a habit turn into addition ? Those questions are very difficult. I guess someone with a PHD may have an answer to those puzzles. I don't think it is all that complicated. If you enjoy doing  it for whatever reason,it becomes a habit. We form habits as a response to our habitat. That sounds official now doesn't it ? We modify our behaviours to either satisfy ourselves or others. The motivation lies within. That is why no one can make you break a habit ! See told you it wasn't difficult. No matter how many seminars you attend,drugs you take or stop whatever programs you buy they will not work unless you want it to work.
I admire anyone that quits this or that or does whatever. It is a triumph that they earned. They may have had some sort of support system but in the end they had to do the work. Irregardless of any claims made by product manufacturers it is YOU that has to do it.
A real habit is something that you do not notice. If you notice it it probably needs some kind of attention.
The squeaky wheel gets the grease. Make a habit of listening to the squeaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment