Sunday, December 13, 2015

What I mean

 Epictetus is one of my favorite people. His quotes inspire me. One that came to mind this morning goes like this, " First learn the meaning of what you say, then speak "  Wise words indeed. The problem lies in getting others to understand your meaning. I wonder what Epictetus would say about that. I can find no where he addressed that problem in his discourse. Making our meaning understood is the biggest challenge to effective communication. I also believe in brevity. I strive to keep it as simple as possible, not because I feel those listening are simple, but I do not want to lose their interest. No one wants to listen or read a long explanation of your thoughts and so I try to get to the point. I often miss my target ! I take responsibility for that.
 There is an entire profession surrounded around the meaning of words and what they meant to say. They call themselves lawyers. At various times and places they are also known as attorneys, barristers, procurators, solicitors, and jurisprudents to name just a few. Even the professionals can't decide upon a single name, although the meaning is essentially the same. And what is that meaning ? They are people that argue what the words mean. We call that interpreting the law. The supreme courts sole function is to do just that. Fortunately our constitution does not give them the final say but empowers them to give an opinion. The opinion is not easily revoked but is not necessarily the final decision, that power lies with the people. Our Justices are appointed by the president. They then must be confirmed by a simple majority in the Senate. They can only be removed by impeachment. Did you know they don't have to be a lawyer ? That is not a qualification. I think the founding fathers just felt like any educated man could understand the meaning of words.
 Epictetus said, " first learn the meaning of what you say, then speak. " I think what he was telling us was to consider what our words would mean to those hearing them before speaking. Our minds often race far ahead of our vocabulary. The oxford dictionary of the English language has over 250,000 listings, not counting scientific and slang terms. A word that is specific to each action, mood or idea. It is no wonder we sometimes choose our words recklessly. We can not know the meaning of all those words ! In reality it is intent that we wish to convey, in most cases anyway. It is my intent that causes your reaction, whether positive or negative. The longer I try to explain my meaning the more it begins to sound like an argument. Guess that is why they say lawyers " argue " the law. I much prefer to just state my case, hence my love of brevity. The struggle is to find the " word " that fits the action. Then having found that word having others agree on the meaning. An almost impossible task.
 I do get frustrated when I know what I am saying but others do not. Of course the others feel the same way. That is when discussion should take place but more often than not it winds up as an argument. I know what I'm saying ! You know what you just read ! One question I would like to ask Epictetus: how can I know the meaning of what I say if I don't ask others ? I have to speak. I have read somewhere that the simple answers come from God. Seems logical that I should just ask God first. In doing so I have only to listen for the answer. It is solely the machinations of man that complicates the universe.

No comments:

Post a Comment