Tuesday, December 22, 2015

The gift of the season

 We all know the reason for the season. We all know that for children it is mostly about the presents. It is with that thought that I recall a particular Christmas. I was about ten and all about the gifts. We were a family of four kids and times were tight. Of course we got gifts, Santa never failed to deliver at my house. But that Christmas I received a gift that I will never forget. I got a complete set of Tonka trucks ! Everything from a pick up truck to a large dump truck. The set had a crane and a flat trailer to haul it on. Yes, it even had a bulldozer ! I couldn't believe it ! Even then I knew just how costly those toys were, They were a gift from my Mom's sister and husband. Aunt Bet and Uncle Doc. They couldn't have children of their own and so spoiled me and my siblings. They once gave me a plastic boat for my birthday. Not a toy, a boat big enough for two to paddle around in. I used it as a sled one winter and it cracked in the cold but that is another tale. Each Christmas I think about those Tonka trucks and my Aunt and Uncle. The two will be forever linked in my mind. I wonder what they would think of that ? That year they gave the perfect gift, the gift of the season.
 Do you have a favorite gift of the season ? That one gift that sticks in your memory for some reason. I can't explain why those trucks are so embedded. I didn't ask for them or anything like that, they were a complete surprise. Maybe that is why they stand out so much. I remember wanting a Sting Ray bicycle from Sears. I circled it in the catalog, bookmarking in todays lingo, so Mom would be sure to see it. Myself and my siblings often did that " bookmarking " in the weeks before Christmas and our birthdays. I have no idea what I circled in the big " wish book " catalog that year. I'm certain I received at least some of what was circled. As I said, Santa always made it to my house. I must have been good, right ? Yes, that set of trucks ranks right up near the top in Christmas gifts received as a child. Well I'll go right ahead and say, they are # 1 ! Best ever.
 Now as an adult, and I use that term loosely, I hope to be the one that gives that perfect gift. To see another so well pleased with your choice can't be beat. I don't obsess over it though, trying to find the perfect gift, rather I just let inspiration hit me. It may sound cliché but truly it isn't the cost of the gift that counts. It is true that the " nicer " things usually cost more, you do get what you pay for, but not necessarily the most memorable. I'm hoping for that reaction this year. You can never tell. I don't believe I ever told my Aunt and Uncle how much of an impact that gift made. Somehow I think they know anyway. It is a wonderful Christmas memory. And yes, I got that Sting Ray bicycle from Sears too.  Purple and " Troll " handgrips. Five speed T-Handle shifter counted on the crossbar, since outlawed by the government as " dangerous. " I guess it was a bit dangerous it you crashed but it was also equipped with a racing slick and dual handbrakes. A real sweet ride.
 I have learned the secret of Christmas and the gift. When the person receiving that gift truly appreciates it, you know you have done well. That's it, having another accept your gift, whatever that may be, is the secret. That is what brings happiness. Wasn't that the purpose of the very first Christmas gift ? It is a gift that will never be equaled that much is sure. I have accepted that first gift and will be forever grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment