Friday, December 25, 2015

Making memories

 It's Christmas morning and Grandma and Grandpa are the only ones stirring. We are up and at it same as every day. Now the waiting begins in earnest. This year the kids, and their kids are coming to our house to celebrate the day. In years past we loaded up the gifts and went to their place but Santa's sleigh is parked out back this morning and we'll wait for them. The excitement level isn't as high energy as in years past due to the kids growing up. It's not quite ho-hum but, an annual event that has become routine. Maturity ?
 We have a few surprises in store for the kids. Preparations have been made. I can't wait to see the reactions. After the day is over the wife and I will critique the results. That is another annual activity. I'm wishing for a good review ! In just a few days the house will return to normal. On New Years day the decorations come down and are put away. That is becoming our tradition as well. Decorations down and house cleaned for New Years day. That and eating sauerkraut ! The wife says if you eat sauerkraut on New Years day you will have good health and wealth for the rest of the year. I must say I've been blessed with good health and wealth, well, that's a subjective thing. I've had enough to get by so I am blessed in that way as well.
 2016 is only a week away. I haven't decided what I'm going to do. I could retire fully and just go that route. I only work twenty five hours a week or so now but it is nice to have some pocket change from that. I'm not certain what I would do all day, every day if I did retire. It certainly sounds enticing. I'll think more about that situation next week. If nothing else is true about me, I'm adaptable. I change according to the situation  rather quickly. I'm sure I could be the retired guy and develop that as a habit ! You know, the old guy that goes to the coffee shop every morning. Problem here is, we don't have a coffee shop, at last not like the one I remember. Before I get all nostalgic though it's Christmas morning 2015 and there are memories to make. Can't wait for those kids to get and get going !
 I wish for all of you a Merry Christmas. Enjoy your families and friends for they are the true gifts. And like gifts, sometimes we are excited about them, and sometimes not so much. That's not the point though. It is a special day and a special time. It would be wonderful if every day were Christmas, not for the presents, but for the emotion. You know how everyone is more tolerate and understanding for Christmas. Whenever things get a little upset what do we say, " It's Christmas ! "

No comments:

Post a Comment