Wednesday, December 2, 2015

pursuit and popularity

 Do you think a nick-name more closely identifies who you are than your given name ? I do think it has a definite influence upon you if you acquire that name at an early age. Take me for instance, I was always called Little Ben, except by my father who called me bubba. In my mind I was expected to be a little Ben, my father only a smaller version. My given name, Austin was never used. That name was considered too scholarly and somehow sissified. No, I should be a Ben. I tried for many years to be Ben. I only succeeded in being who I am. I may have turned out differently had I not spent years trying to be Ben. I have no regrets about any of that I only think about it as a matter of interest. My thought being that your name, whether your given or nick-name, does shape you somewhat. That's why name calling can be so hurtful to you as a child. Shoot, let's be honest here, it hurts as an adult too.
 Growing up I wasn't as interested in mechanics and engineering as I led on. I wanted to please Ben and fit into the picture. I was really more interested in reading books and philosophy. There wasn't much room for scholars down to three mile harbor. Those with advanced degrees in subjects not much discussed over a scallop dredge were not held in high esteem. The thinking was, those fellas ought to get a real job. I wouldn't go as far as to say it was discouraged, but it certainly wasn't encouraged. I wonder if I had been called Austin if I would have chosen the academic path. Being called little Ben was an indicator of what was expected. I believe that has changed over the years. More accurately stated, I have changed over the years. Dare I say it, growth. I am a bit more comfortable with who I am or want to be. I do not require the " permission " of others to pursue my interests. I still look for a reaffirmation of my choices though. I don't think I'll ever get past that. It is all tied together, pursuit and popularity. When I was young I chose to pursue the things that made me popular within my own group. They were not necessarily the things that were of the most interest to me. Now I tend to pursue the things that interest me but am concerned with becoming alienated from my social  group. Will these people accept the changes ?  Are they expecting Ben ? What happens when Austin shows up ? Austin is often met with a subdued hostility. It was that way back in my youth with those " educated " men that occasionally showed up. They were artists or writers mostly, observing the " common " folks. They weren't near as smart as they figured they were.
 It is a matter of perception. If I signed these blogs Austin B Reichart, Jr. PhD, Ad, Mba, and a string of other letters they would be received differently. Some would even be convinced I knew what I was talking about ! Where I grew up letters weren't important, knowing a trade was valued. A tradesman named Austin ? Not down to three mile. Most were called by some form of nick-name. Some would be considered offensive by todays standards. They were not intended in that way, merely descriptive of the individual. Porky and AA come to mind. Porky was overweight and AA had a drinking problem. Both knew it, accepted it for what it was and continued on. No intervention necessary.
 I mention that because the prevailing attitude was one of self sufficiency. The only way to accomplish that was by work. Academics don't work ! They may have money, but they don't work. What is their contribution ? Very little in the eyes of the working class. I was called little Ben because that is what was expected of me. The focus was not so much upon what I wanted, but what was perceived by my parents, as what I needed. My parents gave me what they thought would help me succeed in life. First and foremost was an occupation. Man has to work ! Can't make a living and support a family reading books you know. So, I did that. I have to say it has served me well over the years. I have a diversified portfolio in the building trades. A jack of all trades and master at none. That is the best description for what I do. I do wonder at times, what would Austin be doing ?
 

No comments:

Post a Comment