Saturday, December 19, 2015

A natural order

 I'm starting out the day remembering my oldest brother, Harold. He left this earth one year ago today to join the host in heaven and I miss him. Although he lived a mere twenty miles from my house for the last fifteen or twenty years we didn't see each other often. We just seemed to travel our own paths in life. There was no hard feelings, we were not what is called " estranged " or anything like that. In retrospect I suppose we just didn't have a lot in common those last twenty years, we were brothers. It happens that way sometimes with brothers, and sisters too. For a while I blamed myself for not making more of an effort to go and visit him but I'm past that. We saw each other as opportunity presented itself and that is how it was meant to be. I'll live with his memory and we will see each other again, when opportunity presents itself again. I only need to be patient.
 Now I need to go finish up some shopping. It seems you always find out you need just one more thing. I don't mind so much even though I'm not a shopper. Most men aren't. It is the hunter instinct in us. Go to the store ( or forest ) and get what you want and get out. Just go and kill it ! Women love to shop because they can't make up their minds. They even invented a thing called " window shopping " just so they wouldn't have to decide. Well, it is the natural order of things, no use complaining about nature.
 Okay so I got myself in a little trouble with that last paragraph but truth often hurts. There I go again, digging the hole a little deeper. After the shopping comes the wrapping and mailing. I dislike both of those tasks. I start out all enthusiastic with the wrapping but after just a few, the excitement quickly fades. The last few wrappings always look sloppy. I convince myself that it really doesn't matter. Secretly, it matters to me. The mailing should have already been done but by mailing them late, they will arrive later. That will then distinguish them from all the others. That's a good thing right ? Avoid the rush and stand out, that's my plan. Really it is a lack of a plan. But I'm going with that logic.
 Tonight and tomorrow afternoon I have performances of the Nutcracker to attend. The granddaughter Morgan will be playing the part of a cookie, I think. Also  a Russian soldier I think. She is quite excited about it again this year. We will attend , that is what grandparents do ! It is a part of the role we are required to play. Another part of the natural order of things. I'm big on tradition and the following of it. So it will be a busy weekend leading into Christmas week. Only five days to go.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment