Saturday, December 26, 2015

marching on

 Coming down from the excitement of yesterday I am left feeling strangely solemn. I have no reason for such a feeling as it was a wonderful day. I got to spend time with my son and the grandkids, as a family, and that is always a good thing. Sure I could have had my other son and his family here ae well but they were in spirit anyway. We did open the gifts they sent to us on Christmas morning, although it was difficult to wait. Curiosity is powerful motivator to do wrong ! Do not open until Christmas ! Do you wait ? If I sent you a package right now with that message attached, could you wait ? Or is there a " time frame " that you could employ, say a week before or after the actual date ?
Perhaps this solemn feeling is the result of receiving too much all at once, like coming down off a sugar rush. I was certainly blessed.
 I have been looking forward to Christmas and now it is over. Come and gone in a flash. New Years is next week but I don't really celebrate that occasion, never did. Oh, when I was younger we stayed up and would imbibe those adult beverages. Seemed like fun and the social convention. Haven't done that in a number of years now, can't say when that last happened. So New Years is no big deal to me, that's the day to pack away Christmas. That is what it has become to me. Just another year. And then I chide myself for being so complacent about that. Each year is a blessing and we shouldn't forget that. Each day and hour is a blessing in fact !
 As in a lot places in the country this year the weather is a little bit crazy. The temperature will be near seventy today. Great for all the kids that got bicycles, terrible for those that got sleds. I'm grateful for the moderate temperatures as it is saving me on the heating bill. I do enjoy the change in the seasons but to be honest, winter can take its' time getting here. If it lasts a week or two, that's enough. All things in moderation you know.
 Having written these few words I am feeling a little better. We have made some plans for today and I'm excited to get out of the house and go on that adventure. Doesn't take much to get me enthused. I had a wonderful Christmas. Time to get started on the next big thing, whatever that may be. Mark, my grandson will be fifteen in January. And time marches on. 2016 here we come.

No comments:

Post a Comment