Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Good advice

 My Grandmother and my mother have a saying. " God helps those who help themselves. " I have heard that advice all my life. It is not advice that came from the Bible. No where does it say that in scripture. It is rather, common sense advice. By attaching God to it would seem to add credibility to that advice. almost to the point of making it a commandment. The truth is God helps everyone that calls upon him. That is what I believe. That isn't to say I don't also believe you should help yourself. The world owes you nothing, neither does anyone in it. We are the people we choose to be. If we choose to just be complacent with our lives, they will be ones of complacency. Those that make a positive impact do so with their own actions. They are the ones that motivate and inspire. They are not content with just getting by.
 I would say this Country is no different in that regard. We need to first " help ourselves " before we help others. We have become so concerned with foreign affairs we are neglecting our own. In our pompous and smug attitude we just think we have all the answers. That is certainly the attitude I am seeing from our President, and the majority of the candidates to succeed him. Our leaders are making decisions based on popularity, not effectiveness. In order for this country to remain great we must help ourselves first. There are those that say we should return to the days of isolationism. There is no argument that we became the great nation we are during that period of history. Like a child though we must grow and enter the world. The world is full of options. When we left the security of our childhood we carried the lessons of that time with us. So too, we did so as a nation. I believe we have reached a point were we are forgetting a lot of those lessons. Self sufficiency is not isolation but it is Independence. Strength lies in conviction ! Determination is key, not talking about it. I hear a lot of talk but see little meaningful action.
 It also says, " In God we trust " on our currency. Some claim that motto should be removed because it is contrary to the policy of separation of church and state. That is an opinion of law. I am more concerned with the sentiment. Why should we trust God ? I'll tell you why, because God helps those who help themselves, that's why. If we do what is right and necessary good things happen. I trust in my God to guide me on this path. It is my belief that through the teachings of the Bible and good common sense decision making I will make the correct choices. I must act and I trust my God to guide me. I am not asking for God to do it, but rather to guide me on my way. All people, with a few exceptions, believe in a God of some kind. They also believe their God will guide them in their decision making. In America we do have that separation of church and state and for a good reason. The reason being, my last statement. Our Government must act in the best interest of the citizens. We cannot use Religion as the sole justification for an action. Common sense must be applied. God helps those who help themselves. We need to take of our own before anything else. That must be our top priority. Just as a mothers' first responsibility is to her child, so is government to its' citizens.

No comments:

Post a Comment