Sunday, December 6, 2015

A tradition continued

 Tomorrow is Pearl Harbor day. A date that will live in infamy. That is what President Roosevelt stated on Dec 8 1941. Within an hour the United Sates was at war with Imperial Japan. America had been victimized and we were not going to stand for that. Action was taken immediately and the enemy clearly defined. This unprovoked attack would not go without retribution.
 Among the more than 16 million soldiers that went to fight that battle was my wifes' Uncle George. I know of many others, including my Dad, that also went but it is Uncle George I will speak about today. George Willard Coffin, Jr. born Dec 4, 1920 died May 24, 2015 at the age of 94. A tall lanky man with a congenital bone disease. his right leg was noticeably bowed. Although it did grow worse over the years he served nonetheless and never uttered a word of complaint. He served in a supporting role, not being in actual combat, but took pride in having served. I only knew him in his later years as age and infirmary took its' toll upon him. He all but lost his eyesight and was legally blind. His bone disorder make it extremely difficult for him to walk. At the very end he could only manage a few steps at a time. Still he lived in his home, alone and managed. It was the home he had left when he went to war and the one in which his life would end. He fell down the stairs and passed away. He lived his life with dignity and honor.
 What does this have to do with Pearl Harbor ? Well, Uncle George had a " banner " for lack of a better description that says, " Remember Pearl Harbor. " It is a painting on velvet and stretched onto a frame. At one time it was bordered by an ornate frame. I don't know the full story behind this piece of memorabilia as I neglected to ask. I do know that Uncle George told me he placed that banner in his front window every year in commemoration of that fateful day. How many years that ritual was carried out I do not know. I do know this, the last few years of his life, practically blind and crippled he kept the things most precious to him close at hand. There were few pictures on his walls as there was no point. HIs kitchen table, were he often sat to listen to the radio was littered with the objects of his everyday routine. Things were placed in specific locations and you soon learned not to move them. That was one method he used to manage. This banner sat in the corner by the front window. In earlier years it was stored away and brought out for the occasion. When I last saw it it was in that corner dusty and standing on end. The material had dry rotted from exposure to the sun, a sun Uncle George felt more than saw. It had become torn in the frame. After his passing the family members were asked if there was anything of his we would care to have. His home being sold the necessity to clean it out was pressing. I requested this banner and was given it. The value is immeasurable to me. What the significance was to Uncle George I can not say with certainty. Whether it was something his parents had purchased during the war or he had bought himself in later years I just don't know. I do know that it held great importance for him. It was an object that he kept close at hand.
 I have remounted this banner as best as I know how. I will keep it and display it every year in remembrance of Uncle George. It will also be a reminder of that Date in history. This banner has no monetary value whatsoever and could be viewed by some as a cheap souvenir. Uncle George placed it in his front window every year without fail, I will attempt to do the same. A tradition continued.

                                                                                    
This is Uncle George's banner.

No comments:

Post a Comment