Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Words of consequence

 There are times when the things on my mind are things I shouldn't write about. That is because it is often too complicated a subject to address in a few paragraphs. Words are often misconstrued and take on a different meaning altogether. That stems from the fact that I write from my perspective. It is a difficult task to make you see what I see. And so there are times when I feel a little frustrated. My fingers hover above the keyboard and I hesitate. I am torn between just putting it out there and exercising discretion. Is it folly or wisdom ?
 I do believe that there are subjects best left alone. If nothing constructive can reasonably come of it, why do it ? That is the question I face. On the other hand nothing can be accomplished if not attempted. I think it certainly has something to do with your sphere of influence. Is anyone listening ? I may have some " listeners " and that is a wonderful thing, but I don't have national or international influence ! Some do, and some of those don't impress me a bit. But then I realize that everything is subjective. Paying a subject lip service accomplishes nothing. Feigned indignation is something I can easily spot ! It is also something that raises my ire. How about an original thought ?  Is that too much to expect ?
 I do try to say something of value or at least amusing in these blogs. It is my hope that years from now they may be read. When that happens I do wish the person reading can get a sense of who I was/am. Perhaps the great grandchildren or others will " discover " this and it shed light upon the past for them. I do believe we need to understand the past before we can change the future. That is why I find it frustrating to not write about certain topics, a piece is being left out. Should I write about those " forbidden " subjects and leave them unpublished ? That wouldn't accomplish anything other than to satisfy myself. I guess it would be no different than keeping a diary. That is something I have never done and I wonder why people do. My sister tells me she keeps a journal. I haven't asked her about its' contents.
 Our words, whether written or spoken, have consequences. The consequences generally affect only ourselves. Opinions are formed based upon those words. Now you may be the " superior " to another in some fashion and your words affect them, but you will be judged based on those words. If you are not willing to speak your thoughts openly is that an indication of wrong ? What I mean to say is, if you are not willing to say it outloud, should you be saying it at all ? 

No comments:

Post a Comment