Friday, March 20, 2015

Name the place

 In real estate there is a saying, location,location,location. Those are the three most important things to look for, everything else can be changed. That is true with ourselves as well. Being in the right place is of utmost importance. Just as with real estate we do need to find that spot. We may need to make some adjustments before we build. But I'm beginning to wander off the subject I had in mind. What I was thinking about was places and place names. I was thinking how those areas have grown in size over the years and some of the more localized names are not used at all. There is a tendency to describe an area today by the name of the housing development there. In Greensboro there is HOKUM, a housing development by the great bend in the river, or so the developer says. There is Kinnamon Meadows, a local family name. In years past there was Four Corners. That is where the two main roads in Greensboro intersect and a popular meeting point. Meet me at four corners. There is Red Bridges where you can go fishing. Only locals would know that, the sign says Christian Park. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples.
 In the town where I was raised there are a number of such locations. Soak hide, the head of the harbor, Dominy's point, Sammis beach and Napeague. I could go on but you get the idea. I don't live in that area anymore and I wonder if all these place names are still used. I would think that they are not. Some were known to me but not used. Pudding hill is one example. Freetown was another, although it has been reported that freetown is enjoying a renewal. Some names are just descriptive of the area, like two holes of water. Other tell of the past like Whooping boys hollow, pronounced holler, although that is the only instance of holler being used in that manner that I am aware of, everything other instance it is hollow. The whole point being that a local would know the exact location you were talking about.
 Over the years and as more people settled in the area these descriptors seem to disappear or grow to include a larger area. I lived down to Three Mile Harbor in the town of East Hampton. Now it is the " Hamptons. " The Hamptons include several towns and cover a very large area. Locals probably still say Three Mile but it is becoming less used I would think. I can't really speak to all that not living there anymore. I do know from old maps and the old folks that there were many more place names used.
 I have a idea why this happens. I'm thinking the more people that are in an area the less intimate they become with the land. When living in an area that is sparsely populated identifiers are necessary to establish a location. Landmarks are chosen that are permanent. Then man moves in and either removes that landmark or builds a new structure, sometimes both. Now a new identifier is established and the old eventually disappears. The area the new inhabitant occupies is a small area. This new inhabitant is not familiar with the old place names and starts using their own. Over time some are lost altogether. Soon the identifiers are man made objects like shopping malls or housing developments. Generalized terms are used for various reasons. Often it is a status symbol thing. I live in the " Hamptons " or I live in "Vail." When living in a rather unknown area names can imply a certain image. Sunnyside Farms or an unusual name like Hokum. Isn't that why plantation owners named their plantations ? The wealthy extended that tradition to their estates. I have heard of summer homes being labeled in that fashion as well. Whatever the case, the name is supposed to reflect the place.
 I really enjoy the old names. It does give one a sense of intimacy with the land and your area. It is like having inside knowledge. Knowledge is power. Outsiders will not know of what you speak ! Secrets of the past preserved in a name. It is a shame to lose them but it has ever been so. New maps will be drawn and areas redefined. A map usually only shows the names of the streets and names of towns, villages or bodies of water. Seldom do those maps include that " insider " knowledge.  

No comments:

Post a Comment