Tuesday, March 31, 2015

New Tech,same old headache

 I do like to try new technology even though it can be frustrating. I just purchased a device called Chromecast. The name caught my attention because I use Chrome as my browser. This device allows me to stream anything from my laptop directly to the television. I was interested in that capability because I like to share my pictures and videos. This device ,in essence, is taking the place of a movie projector or slide show. I always did think a slide show was a pretty cool thing. My parents never did the slide thing, too expensive, but I had friends that did. Those pictures sure would pop ! We didn't know anything about pixels and resolution or high def. It is ironic, in an offhand sort of way, that the best film to take those slides with was Kodachrome. There is that " Chrome " again, coincidence or by design ? It's only drawback, so far, is that it has to go through your browser first. That means I have to be online and stream from a website there, like Facebook. If it is on Facebook I can put it on television. I believe I have seen something like this in the past so it is probably not a " new " thing just new to me. I am still in that learning curve. I have discovered that it will not work from my desktop, no wi-fi there. That is one of those things I need to learn more about. I'm betting there is a device that can enable it. Probably need to buy something additional. That is the way it usually is.
 I purchased this Chromecast device and it was only thirty five dollars. I had considered buying what they call an HDMI cable to run from my computer to the television. The cable would have cost more than that little device ! I would have had to buy two cables and a connector to join them about forty dollars total. This Chromecast device just plugs into the HDMI slot on the back of the television or more properly, the monitor. I do like this wireless stuff ! It is like magic sometimes. The Wi-Fi is wireless, I can buy a wireless keyboard and send signals to my monitor wirelessly. The box says I can stream from my smartphone, if I had one of those , or my tablet ! I keep a tablet on my desk next to the monitor to take notes on, but haven't figured out how that is going to connect ! Well maybe because it is really a spiral wound steno book and not a true tablet it will not work. Something else to buy.
 I do need to do more research. They talk about cloud based sites that can serve the same function as a website like Facebook. All that is where it can get confusing. I'm thinking, and this is only speculation, that for a fee I could upload my pictures and videos to this cloud. From the cloud I could then stream back, through my Chromecast device to my television / monitor. I'm certain of one thing, it will cost something ! There will be a monthly fee associated with this service unless I opt for an annual contract. That has been my experience with most everything associated with this new tech stuff ! Well, it is a novel thing for right now anyway. Is this a technology that will last ? Is it something I will continue to use ? I think so. So I leave you with this warning, if you come to visit me bring the popcorn. There is a good chance you will be subjected to the slide show or what was once called " home movies. " The more things change, the more they stay the same. What ? You don't have Chromecast ? No problem I brought mine along just in case. It will just take a second to connect. 

No comments:

Post a Comment