Wednesday, March 25, 2015

The depth of thought

 The real problem begins when we allow others to tell us what should upset us. I believe that is what is happening to many in this country right now. Bowing to political correctness and peer pressures a sense of unrest is created. Many times I find people upset about causes and ideas they know little about. Why is this ? Because they are just going along with the crowd. The herd mentality. And that comes about as a result of not thinking for yourself. It is certainly easier that way and you will be popular, but will you be happy ?
 I find it sad when when you are discussing a current event type topic and the other person has no historical reference to guide their thinking. I have often said, there is little to be said that hasn't been said before, and it is also true that there is little that hasn't happened before. If one reads a bit of history it will provide some reference for thought. It is true that children need guidance. It is also true that parents and other adults will influence the thoughts of children. Children are easily manipulated, hence the saying taking candy from a baby. What I am talking about however are the adults. So many " adults " today that just go with the crowd and whatever their favorite musician or movie personality happens to be saying. Those that become " offended " because they are being told that they should be offended. There are those that deny what they know to be truth because, it isn't in concert with the current trends. This is the era of noncommittal. At least that is the way I see it. So many afraid to commit to anything for fear of being labeled. Protesting by marching in the streets and chanting slogans is not making a commitment. That is just joining in the party. Yes, you will get attention but that is the not the same thing as making a commitment.
 I can understand and appreciate different views on a subject. I am not saying my way or my views are always correct, but they are close. Just kiddin' but that is committal. I do enjoy a good discussion and valid references add to that. The argument of " because " and," so and so said so " are not valid references. It is the depth of your thought that gives depth to the discussion. Just getting angry, immediately followed by a string of expletives, is not going to convince me of the sincerity of your belief. Why are you angry ? I want some context. And I want some committal. If you quote chapter and verse from the Bible I will accept that as a basis for your anger. I may not agree with the interpretation you have of that verse, but now I have context. If you should compare an historical event and the ensuing results from that event, I have context. A well reasoned response is what is required. When we become dissatisfied with our current situation we want change. That is a human response. It is also a response that should be well reasoned. Look before you leap ! Remember that advice ? The satisfying of our immediate needs may not be beneficial tomorrow. A happy life require commitment ! Do not allow others to control your happiness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment