Sunday, March 22, 2015

St. Matthew's

 There is a little wooden chapel named St. Mathews that I used to pass almost daily. It sat just off the Three Mile Harbor Road. It was rarely used but during the summer months. It sat in an area called Freetown. Now, I didn't know that was Freetown back in those days. It was rarely, if ever, referred to in that way. My Mom told me years later that her father, Grandfather Horace, would use that as a location. At some point after 1975, the last year I lived in East Hampton, the name Freetown came back into popular use. Apparently back in Grandfather's day living in Freetown was not a good thing. It was a settlement originally made for freed slaves and displaced  Indians. Not a very savory neighborhood ! I hear that Freetown is quite the location today, a sign of prestige and pride. I really can't say but I remember the area and it was nice enough when I was a kid living in East Hampton. I had relatives there and friends. But ,back to the Chapel. My Mom told me she would attend services there as a child. She didn't live far from there, on the outskirts of Freetown really, although I don't think Mom wants to admit to that. Old stigmas are not easily forgotten.
 Now this chapel was an Episcopal chapel. In my time the Reverend Davis was in charge of it. Without looking it all up online I do not know much of the history of that place. I just remember it being there. Now Grandma was a Lutheran. There were no Lutheran churches in East Hampton at that time and Grandma decided the Episcopal church was the closest thing. That is how Mom became an Episcopalian, and in turn, so did I. St Matthew had something to do with that I think. I did attend St. Luke's Church which owned St. Matthew's chapel. I guess it wouldn't much matter to the saints themselves, there are some pretty understanding fellas.
 At this point in my narrative I may become confused or misinformed and I rely upon my readers to correct me if I am wrong. I had heard that the chapel was sold and moved to a marina by Three Mile Harbor, perhaps the Silver Seahorse but that is a guess. I believe someone told me it was to be a chapel for Mariners. I can definitely see that as a fitting use for that chapel. I'm quite sure a number of mariners attended that chapel when it was in Freetown. I'm certain a good majority of those congregants were waterman. Depending upon the age of the chapel they could have been round the world whalers to just the fisherman working the bay. I know Grandfather Horace worked the water although from what I hear he probably didn't attend church a whole lot ! Again, perhaps I am wrong about that.
 I'm not sure what brought me to thinking about that little chapel this morning. Maybe it was St.Matthew speaking to me. I'll have to read a little of his chapter today, perhaps there is a message waiting there. One never knows. I do find it comforting to know the chapel still exists. Maybe I'll get to visit it one day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment