Monday, March 23, 2015

Being creative

 I spent my weekend doing some small projects. These were the little projects that I have had in mind for some time and for one reason or another just never got around too. Well, this time I did ! And I must say I am fairly well pleased with the results. Even the simplest of things can go wrong, but all went well. I think what I was doing could be called " crafting " although that isn't a term I often use. I think that is a fairly modern term.
 I started by applying some vinyl decals to my kitchen table top. My kitchen has an apple and chicken theme going on that is on the verge of getting out of hand. At any rate I applied the decals and then sealed the table top with some spar urethane. That ought to allow wiping the table without removing my decals, I hope. After that was completed I felt " empowered ". Isn't that what they say these days ? I felt empowered and decided to tackle another project I have had in mind. My granddaughter likes to burn tea candles in her bedroom so I thought she should have a fireplace. I got a pile of rocks, some hot glue and started building. After gluing those rocks into the shape I wanted I filled the gaps with clay. I bought this clay at the Walmart and you just bake it in your oven at home. That turned out pretty good. It is not perfect but it'll do the job.
 Now, having accomplished this fireplace building I was really feeling it, as the kids say. I went into the kitchen and stopped to admire that table. It was then I noticed that my napkin and salt and pepper holder was just a plain white. I thought, I'll just paint an apple on it to match the table top. That is quite a bold decision for me as I have zero artistic ability. As my Dad would say, you can't draw a straight line with a ruler. That's not true, it is just that the straight line wouldn't be where it should be. My " art work " is usually a " piece of work. " Nevertheless I got out paint and brush and had at it ! I surprised myself as it does look like an apple. Amazing. I'm on a roll.
 And then having been successful with these things I embarked upon one more project. This time I'm sewing. Hey, I have some skills in that department from my upholstering days. I can use a sewing machine, mostly in a straight line, corners can be a problem, but I can sew two items together. My Mom had sent my wife a modified sweatshirt a while back. Mom does a lot of crafting/sewing. My wife liked the thing, call it a sweatshirt jacket, and wanted another. I figure I can do that. I took a regular sweatshirt and cut it right up the middle in the front. Bam, it is now a jacket. I sewed an edging down each cut from top to bottom and there you have it. Quick,simple and very stylish if I don't say so myself. My wife is happy and now has another one in a different color. I expect I'll be sewing a few others for different outfits. No problem.
 All in all it was a very productive weekend. Very relaxing. I have many other projects in mind and will save them for another day. I do tend to go in fits and spurts. This past weekend the creative juices were flowing. That little fireplace was the one thing I enjoyed the most. I intend to give it to Morgan this afternoon. My hope is that it is something she not only likes but keeps. You just never know what will become a heirloom. I don't think you can make a heirloom , it kinda has to make itself. Heirlooms are those things that survive. They must survive at least one lifetime I think and perhaps even several. I've got a few that have done just that. You just never know.

I painted that apple.

rustic, don't you think 

No comments:

Post a Comment