Thursday, March 19, 2015

Courtesy and respect

 Some time back I began posting " Good Morning " on my facebook page. I started doing this as a way of promoting being " social. " I thought, that is what they call this, a social networking site, so shouldn't we be social ? Good morning and similar greetings contribute to a social atmosphere. I have been well pleased with the result. It is usually the same group of friends that respond to my greeting each morning, but occasionally others join in. I find I have a nice social relationship with those that respond. I admit it is a limited number of people as my " friends " list isn't all that large. But the truth is we all limit our relationships in some fashion, at least those of us with good common sense do. You cannot be friends with everybody and be truthful. As that character in the movie said, " you can't handle the truth ! " That is true in some instances and it is a wise person that recognizes that.
 I have noticed the public in general seems to be getting more reserved, or paranoid if you prefer. Exchanging a friendly greeting with a stranger is less prevalent now than it was in years past. It was, and still is in my book, a matter of courtesy. Some may call it " respect " you hear that a lot these days, but in reality it is just a courtesy. Courtesy is extended, but respect must be earned. A distinction that is being lost I fear. I acknowledge the presence of another person with a greeting. More often than not, I receive no response. Sometimes I am met with a concerned look, like I am going to ask them for something or attack. This is especially true with the younger crowd. I can only surmise it is because it is what they were taught. My generation was taught to hold the door for a lady or your elder, and respond with yes sir or ma'am.
 Another thing I have noticed is that society must have decided that the best defense is a strong offense. I say this because of the way people speak. People are certainly more forceful in their opinions today. This is evidenced by their choice of words. Sentences are certainly laced liberally with expletives these days, and the majority of them four letters ! Of course all this is just my opinion, I have no research to back me up. It just appears that opinions are now stated as fact and no disagreement is allowed. To disagree is to be labeled in some fashion. Either you are a religious nut, a liberal, a conservative or just plain stupid ! Not that that wasn't so in years past, but you weren't told that, at least not to your face. You extended courtesy to the other person and in return they responded in kind. The primary mission was not to prove that you were right. In fact, more can be communicated by not responding than by instigating an argument. A pleasant, good day,  and turning away from the conversation does much to express your feelings.
 Courtesy and respect. Two words with different meanings. The distinction is not easily evident unless it is taught. I do think that courtesy is becoming lost, viewed as a sign of weakness.Being courteous does not mean you are subjugating yourself. What it is, is offering the opportunity for the other person to reciprocate. In this manner respect may be earned. Constructive conversation always begins with a courteous exchange, battles begin with a cry ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment