Friday, March 6, 2015

with the windows open

 I don't usually talk a whole lot about the weather. It is what it is and we just have to live with it. I suppose working in retail I am suffering from weather burnout. I am hoping this morning is the last blanket of winter. It is all white and very cold. Friday is always a mixed blessing. TGIF but first I have a tractor trailer load of groceries to unload. The loading dock is outdoors ! It does present challenges. The task can usually be accomplished in about an hour and a half. That is a long time when it is ten degrees and you are sixty one years old ! I'd rather I was ten and the temperature sixty one.
 The weather man says we will begin a warming trend. Geez, I'm glad he has all those computers and education to predict that. Spring is coming and it will get warmer, I already knew that. Well, I don't blame them it is tough to just talk about the weather all the time. I can't imagine making my living doing that. I would be the grumpy weather man for sure ! I have little to no patience with the weather. To me the weather is just a topic of polite conversation. You can't change it or control it. I don't find it all that fascinating. Factor in the fact that as a weatherman people always make fun of you. Some even call you a liar ! Meteorologists are not thought of as being correct.
 I am looking forward to that brief period in time when I can throw the windows open. That time when it is not too hot nor too cold. I do live close to the main street and so traffic noise can become bothersome. I do get up early and that is when it is best. I love hearing the birds chirping in the early morning light. I like when I can hear the rain and feel a breeze. Yes, living with the windows open is the way to go for me. I am fortunate to live in Greensboro where it is still possible to do so. The threat of home invasion is very low here. I can still feel safe with just a screen between me and the outside world. I would hate to live somewhere where that wouldn't be possible. And I wouldn't want to live in a skyscraper. The second floor, where I now live, is high enough thank you. When I was growing up we didn't even lock the doors. At least I don't remember ever locking the door. maybe Mom did that. I know the windows remained open throughout spring and summer, no air conditioning in my house. not even a window unit.
 Hopefully this is the last blast of winter. I grow weary of the cold but wouldn't want to go without it either. I do enjoy the change in the seasons. It is just sometimes they could change a little faster. I mean winter could be like two months and that would be enough. Spring and Fall could be a little longer. I think summer here is just about right. Right now I am looking forward to life with the windows open. Just a couple more weeks of warming and it should be alright. They say it is darkest before the dawn so it must also be coldest before the warmth ! Well, that didn't really work but you get the idea. I can't wait to throw open those windows and let the fresh air in.  

No comments:

Post a Comment