Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Swift and sure

 Justice swift and sure. That is what is missing in the country today. The lawyers are busy filing briefs and litigating but little is accomplished. The primary mission seems to be the accumulation of wealth by those lawyers and payments to the injured. Justice is doled out in dollar bills. The larger the payment, the greater the perceived justice. The battle cry is, you deserve compensation ! I hear that a hundred times a day on the television advertisements. What you don't hear is, the criminals deserve punishment ! You hear more about rehabilitation and social programs for these offenders than anything else.
 I would not deny anyone their day in court and due process. It is just that it takes far too long to reach that day. Years pass before some of these criminals face the judge. And then, when finally faced with judgement, the punishment is unsure. Being held fully accountable for their actions is becoming a thing of the past. Even murder, cold blooded and calculated is being excused. All manner of criminal activity is being allowed and in some cases justified. It is not their fault, they are victims of society.
 I'm not sure why I am even writing this, frustration I suppose. I hear about the trial for the bomber of the Boston marathon. His attorneys are doing their best to save him from the death penalty. There is no doubt about his guilt ! None ! The argument is that he was " influenced " by his older brother. Yes, he probably was but that does not excuse the behavior. How many lives did he " influence " with his bomb ? People killed and maimed for life. He must be held fully accountable. Anything less than that sends a message to others that would commit such acts.
 I'm all for discussion. I'm all for listening to your side of the story. I'm also all for being held accountable. No excuses. If you can present me with a satisfactory reason for doing what you did that is fine, I will consider that. Attempting to fabricate excuses doesn't work with me. All is not black and white that is true. Still there must be an accounting. And it is my belief that that accounting should be swift and sure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment