Saturday, March 21, 2015

To what end

 To what end shall I live ? That is a question I often ponder. Yes, I ponder. Not sure where I learned to ponder I just do. I didn't ponder growing up so I must have learned that after high school, maybe out at sea during my Navy days. No matter, the fact that I do ponder is well established in my writing of these blogs. If I were still in the Navy I would call them " logs. " Seafarers keep log books. Cliche yes, but I have a " sea chest " in the attic filled with my old uniforms. That chest has never been to sea though. I wander off course though. I was thinking about to what end I shall live. The quick answer is, until I die and then that is the end. I never did like the quick answers though I always want to know just a little bit more. Not enough to be considered expert however, just reasonably informed. I mean you have to have some mystery to life or it just gets boring. Knowing the end would take the mystery out of life that much is sure, but at the same time it would make the journey a little easier too. A little difficult to tell at times if I am making any progress ! It is a lot easier to assess those around me. Judging others comes quite naturally don't you think ? 
 I believe we are all here to serve some purpose. I can't bring myself to believe it could all be just random. A few too many coincidences for that. The thing I ponder the most is, when that purpose or mission is complete is that when I die ? Or, do you get to hang around awhile and enjoy your success ? If you are a christian you are taught the big reward is in the afterlife so why hang around here ? If I have earned my reward shouldn't I receive it immediately ? That would seem to make sense. The problem there is I see many people suffer with illness of all types and experience terrible tragedies in their lives and yet they remain. To what purpose would that be ? Is that their purpose ? Will that fate become mine as well ? We just can't know the answer to those questions and so I continue to ponder.
 You are never to old to learn new things and change your ways. We often assume that the changing of your ways implies you are doing something wrong. That isn't always the case. What's the old saying, there is more than one way to skin a cat ? No one method is better than another. Getting the job done is the important part. And so with that thought in mind I ponder a new course. But then I hesitate because perhaps this new course will lead me to the end. I'm not anxious to get there ! On the other hand I will reach the end regardless, it is just that I may reach the end unrewarded. There has to be winners and losers in every game doesn't there ? That would seem a cruel joke now wouldn't it ? A God that allows you to lose ? Well in all fairness he did give us the rule book to follow. It is not his fault if we don't follow it ! I believe he has a purpose for me and I must discover that purpose. That is the end I seek. The real question to ponder is this, should I be concentrating on fulfilling God's mission for me or obtaining eternal life ? Did Jesus not say, those who believe in me shall not perish but have everlasting life. That is the reward, but what is the mission ? Do I even need to know ? I think not, but I can ponder the answer anyway. I just need to continue on faith. Read the book and follow the instructions, should be easy enough , right ? 

No comments:

Post a Comment