Sunday, February 1, 2015

Squaw Cove

Years ago I came into possession of a book that my Mom had purchased back in the late  '50's. East Hampton History and Genealogies by Jeanette Edwards Rattray. This volume was of particular interest because it contains my family. My own great grandmother assisted in compiling family information for inclusion in this book. We must remember this was done at a time before computers and the information superhighway. Old newspapers, documents and family Bibles were the primary sources for this type of information. I had browsed through it as a child but felt no connection to it. Later in life I took an interest in genealogy. That book proved to be a springboard. On the inside jacket there's a map showing various locations throughout the town of East Hampton. Some of the names are familiar and some are not. As I read through the family history section I discovered at least one my ancestors was born and died at a place called Squaw Cove. This place was listed on the inside and numbered on the map. Alas, the location is missing on that map ! An error in printing that was never caught. I did some inquiries but no one knew the location of Squaw Cove. I let that piece lie for many years and recently revisited it. To my astonishment the place has been identified ! Not only that, it is now a protected from development. What a wonderful discovery.
Squaw cove, the name itself demands a story to be written. The story should rightfully begin with Samuel Bennett who died at that place sometime before 1699. It is from his line that I am descended. Some historians say that the white man never made contact with the native americans at that location but I doubt that assumption. Many artifacts of an Indian encampment were found there. It is true that these artifacts predate the 1699 time period but to me that doesn't prove the natives weren't around. Perhaps they just moved to a new location. White men certainly moved around according to their needs and desires I see no reason the natives wouldn't have done the same. No record exists of a particular sale of land to Samuel Bennett but he could very well have purchased it from the natives. I think people are people whatever the time and place. If there is a profit to be had, well, who knows.
Squaw cove was, and is,  prime real estate for a person that works the water and Samuel Bennett certainly did that.
The name squaw cove indicates the presence of the natives, does it not ? Why would that place be labeled that if not for that ? We all know from our history lesson in school that the women of the tribe did the menial labor. That labor would include the gathering of shellfish along the shore and using the water there for various purposes. The washing of clothing,bedding and food for example. The name implies that squaws gathered there and it would seem obvious they would be engaged in domestic duties. If I am a white man, fairly alone, Squaw Cove sounds like a good place to hang out. Hey, some things never change you know.
In modern times we often like to build on the water. That practice is a result of having artificial shelter from the elements. The natives would have built their encampments back from the open water as a matter of practicality. There are few trees to block the wind on the water ! It would be wise to be further back in the forest. Natural shelter makes sense. My own father would speak of that. He was of the opinion living on the beach was just foolish. That was a notion he learned from his grandfather. And his grandfather probably learned that from his. In many ways they are  correct.
In later years the son of Samuel Bennett would move to the west just a bit, on the other side of three mile harbor. He would settle in a place called Northwest. Northwest, as I knew it, was only the name of the woods in my backyard. I was to learn later that an entire village once prospered there. That village is now gone and all that remains are the graves of my ancestors buried there. Some of their headstones still stand to this day. Many have been lost to time and development.
As for me I was born in a hospital. I did grow up on the edge of Northwest woods however and so claim that as my birthright. Not far from my doorstep ran Soak Hides dreen a place the native americans utilized in the curing of animal hides. Much evidence of their presence there was discovered many years past. Surely the squaws gathered there as well.
Little did I know that I grew up surrounded by history. And that history was my own. Now a great deal of that history has been lost to time and neglect. It is being rediscovered and preserved and for that I am grateful. How much more I could have known and possibly saved cannot be said. All I would have had to do is ask.
Yes, Squaw Cove is a story that needs to be told. The question is, what is that story ? A story about  a man and his family. The places in that story now only exists in history books and the names on a sign. Squaw cove, soak hides and northwest. Oh, there are others, too numerous to mention that belong in other stories. My own story begins in Squaw cove no telling where it will end. 

No comments:

Post a Comment