Monday, February 2, 2015

Phillips' War

Yesterday I was writing about a place called Squaw Cove. That lead me to do a little exploring. The first of the Bennett line had settled at that place but was by no means the first Bennett in America. Well to be technically correct, what we now call America. The very first Bennett to immigrate to this new world was probably Edward Bennett. Ah but when we are talking about people and events from the 1600's can we ever really be one hundred percent sure ? I will continue by adding I am by no means an authority on any of this. What I am writing and saying is what I have found in various sources on the internet. There are likely mistakes but that is not the purpose of this story, this story is just a thing of interest to myself.
Edward Bennett had a son named Samuel. Samuel had a brother named George and it is this George that I found this interesting tale about. Especially interesting to me because that George would be my 8th great granduncle ! As near as I can tell we are of the same blood. Now George, along with his wife Lydia and their five children, were living in Lancaster Massachusetts in 1675 when war broke out. War with the native people that is. This war is called " Phillips War " by historians. The Phillip being referenced is not King Phillip or anything like that but this Phillip was the Chief of the Wampanog tribe ! This chief was friend and ally to Monoco , chief of the Nipmucks. He was noted for having only one eye.
But first a little background. You see the settlers had Christian Indians that were there friends and spies. These " Christian " indians reported back and forth between the two factions. The English, by virtue of their superior fire power and having made the natives somewhat dependant upon their goods like better tools and steel weapons, gained a great many concessions from them. Then the natives became unwilling to compromise further and planned an attack upon the settlement at Lancaster. This was reported to the settlers by one of those Christian Indians. That Indian was killed, some say by the order of Phillip himself. The settlers took three natives into custody,held a trial and convicted the natives. They were subsequently executed ! This, as you can understand, enraged the natives.
And so it was this that precipitated the events of the 22 of August in 1675.  George Bennett, along with seven others were in the northern part of the village that day. The accounts say they were near the cemetery when the sneak attack occurred. The natives, members of the Nipmuck tribe, killed George Bennett along with all seven others. Among them was an entire family. The MacLouds.
George Bennetts' family was spared and I can find no further record of where they went following this. There is mention of her requesting aid from the powers that be. By the following year the settlement was abandoned. It remained that way for two years or more.
I will continue to research this as I find it interesting. I can not help but wonder if old Samuel Bennett down to squaw cove knew of this. I would think that he did as it took place only about a hundred years before his birth. I wonder too, if his parents or grandparents came to squaw cove as a result of this. It is well known now, and I am sure then as well, that the native tribes on Long Island were generally quite friendly and peaceful. Perhaps it was considered a safer place in this wilderness they called the new world. Old Sam was born in 1771 and witnessed the birth of America. I can not show the direct relationship between the Samuel Bennett at Squaw Cove to the Samuel Bennett  son of Edward Bennett but it is highly likely. Samuel Bennett  born at Squaw Cove, whose father was also Samuel Bennett. George Bennett's father was Samuel George Bennett.
I can say, with some degree of certainty, that my 8th great granduncle George was killed in Phillips War on the 22nd of Aug 1675. That's pretty cool to know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment