Sunday, February 15, 2015

Soundtrack

On Maryland public television on Sunday mornings I like to watch Austin City Limits. You Just never know who is going to perform and I enjoy the variety. This morning they were celebrating forty years of the show. Willie Nelson was featured as he was there for the pilot show. He was joined by others honoring Stevie Ray Vaughn and Double Trouble. It was a very good show and brought back memories,. Well, not really memories as I still listen to those performers to this day. Buddy Guy even made an appearance, another legend. As I watched and listened I couldn't help but be struck by the age of those musicians. The headliners are all getting pretty old ! Willie is eighty now and Buddy Guy can't be far behind. Emmy Lou Harris was there, still beautiful, but showing the years. Yes, it will wake you up on a Sunday morning. I'm in this same grouping, just not a musician. I'm still listening though and there is something to be said for that.
I believe we all get stuck in a time and place in music. Just like the majority of us will adopt a certain style of dress, so too music. I have always listened to a variety of genres. As a teenager I listened to Bob Dylan, James Taylor, Steppenwolf, Jr. Walker and Carol King. James Brown was another favorite, one my dad didn't understand ,along with Sly and the family stone. A little later I began to listen to country music a bit more. As the Bellamy bros. wrote, Disco left me cold. Heavy metal did nothing for me. Willie and Merle fit the bill nicely though. Of course, Dad had always listened to Country and Western, as it was called then so I was not unfamiliar with the artists. I blended all those things together.
It is a wake up call to see all these artists today and hear them called legends. Some already have statues built in their honor. You realize just how iconic they are when they can no longer really play and sing, yet are featured. A deference to their past accomplishments. They have earned that right, that kindness, through their body of works. They are treasured relics of the past. What is sobering is I fit into that category, age wise ! The only difference being, I'm just old. Now, don't take that wrong, I'm not complaining or feeling sorry for myself, I'm just pointing out the facts. All our " seniors " should be treated with the same degree of respect.
I expect each generation feels the same about their music. It is what they were in tune with, pun intended. I'm not even certain what music is popular right now. I don't seem to hear about any one person or group that much, but maybe it is because I'm not paying attention. When the Beatles arrived I think everyone in America was aware of that. I do occasionally hear about artists, and I use that term loosely, like Miley Cryus and Justin Beiber but not for their musical accomplishments. I hear about Rappers, or whatever they call themselves these days, shooting each other. I did watch a portion of the Grammy awards and was left scratching my head. I just can't see much of this new stuff being around forty years from now. Perhaps I am wrong about that, I hope so anyway. Even country music has taken a turn in recent years. Some are calling it " BRO " country and I understand that sentiment. Well to each their own. I just can't seem to relate to a lot of the songs they are singing these days. The consolation in all of this is a simple fact, you can't outlive the music of your youth, because that music is timeless. I look at it as a gift. I do believe if you could record my " soundtrack " it would be what they call a "mix tape" these days. The overture has been played and the " allegro " portion winding down. Now I would say I am more interested in the " adagio " portion of that soundtrack. It does seem to be the natural order of things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment