Tuesday, February 17, 2015

The price of cheerios

I am so tired of hearing about the weather that I'm writing about the weather ! Does that make any sense at all ? Probably not, but it is what it is. Working in retail I hear it all day long, the standard quips, cold enough for ya, or hot enough for ya ? I hear it's raining outside, snowing or blowing like I didn't already know that. All the discussion about weather, all the stories of how cold it was twenty years ago or how high the temperature got in summer. I know that folks are just making conversation, I can appreciate that, and the weather is a safe subject. Well, most of the time it is anyway, I've heard a few retorts that were less than friendly !
There are times when I get annoyed. Like when a customer starts telling me how much money we are making off a storm. First, let me explain that I do not get anything extra no matter the potential weather, or the current weather. Secondly, all it does is make my job that much harder trying to keep up with demand. And last, but not least, is the store doesn't make any more money either. It is only that people buy it sooner. After the big storm, the store will be very slow for a few days. Yup, people will be using all that stuff they bought for the storm, they don't save it for the next ! Most will have a few days supplies to go through.
I have considered including a list of possible subjects to discuss inside the sale flyer. In that way customers could have something more to say. Perhaps some current events or town proceedings. Would have to avoid religion and politics. Maybe just ask for opinions. Or a list of trivia questions. The customer could ask the employees for the answers or get confirmation of the answer. How about putting clues in there to find a hidden object ? Find the object and get a discount. There have been days when I thought of being a mute ! Just carry a pad and paper around with me. Then I could just smile at everyone and pull out a card that says, Good Morning, do you sign ? Problem is, I don't and what happens if they do ? Bad policy there, could be offensive.
Well it is what it is ,and that is what it's a'gonna be ! Folks are just trying to be friendly I suppose. I sure wish they would ask me if I have read a good book lately, or what I think about black holes. The Tesla corporation has some exciting technology that they plan to release in about six months. Radio Shack is going out of business, snowstorms haven't helped them at all. There are any number of things I have an opinion about if you just ask. But that is the problem isn't it ? Do we really want to hear the answer ? Most don't I believe, just want to get in and out. Except for the older folks that is, they want to talk,talk, talk ! For some, that is their social interaction for the day. I understand that and try to be patient. I hope some employee returns the favor to me one day, should it become necessary.
So, go ahead talk about the weather and stay noncontroversial. It is probably the best choice overall. If an employee in a store seems annoyed by it, he probably is. Remember he is not getting rich off a snowstorm or other natural disaster. He is still getting paid by the hour and probably not getting any more hours either. More likely is he will lose some time, due to the weather !
The bottom line is their is nothing any of us can do about it. Accept it for what it is and just move on. In an oblique sort of way it is empowering. We can say, " it is cold outside " and you can't change that ! You can change the price of cheerios but you can't change the weather.

No comments:

Post a Comment