Wednesday, February 18, 2015

A good memory

Another short story from the summer of '68. My oldest brother Harold was in the Navy and had been sent to sea. For reasons that I don't recall it was decided his wife would spend the summer at my house. She would share a bedroom with my sister. This wasn't a big deal or anything, and she was just there. I always enjoyed her company and she didn't infringe upon any of my freedom, so I didn't mind at all. If there was any drama associated with this arrangement I wasn't aware of it.
In the summer of '68 we didn't have air conditioning in our house. I do remember the girls giggling in their room and complaining about how " muggy " it was. Everyone was acting silly for one of those unknown reasons and the term " muggy " just kept getting laughs. Soon I was hollering at them that is was muggy and laughing too. Eventually Dad was hollering up the stairs to quiet down up there, he was trying to get some sleep ! He couldn't of course, because it was too muggy ! Well, after an hour or so of that we all went to sleep.
I remember the next day we were all sitting out on the front steps enjoying the coolness of the morning. It looked like it was going to be another hot one. The girls were looking at a magazine of some type. Whether it was home and gardens or some fashion thing I do not recall. Dad comes out and the girls are talking about shampooing their hair. They are saying, in this magazine it says a beer and egg shampoo will make your hair shiny and soft or some such claim. Whatever it was supposed to do, every girl needed it. They continue on about this shampoo for quite a while, debating whether or not they should do it. They were considering going to the beach later on so maybe they would wait till after that. Turning that page, they find some other fashion thing to talk about. Dad wanders back in the house. Soon he came out the door with two eggs in his hand and a can of beer ! You got it, he smashed the eggs on her head, Harold's wife, and poured the beer on it ! He says, now go wash your hair, you said that is what you wanted ! Everyone is surprised and begins to laugh. She is surprised too and can do little but laugh.
That summer went quickly and Harold returned. They went and got there own place. I will always remember that summer. I will remember how it was " muggy " and I will always remember the shampoo ! It was a great summer. A good memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment