Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Doing the show

I'm a little sleepy this morning. I was out late last night, didn't get home till near eleven o'clock ! My granddaughter Morgan and her dance company were performing at halftime for the Harlem Globetrotters. Pretty cool stuff. The show was a good one, from both.
 The Harlem Globetrotters are in their 89th year. That was an interesting little fact. They have included a girl player. They introduced their opponents, The Washington Generals. Not being a follower of the team I was surprised to learn that they hadn't played against the Generals since1971. What ? Apparently they have been playing against a different team. I thought they always played the same team. Must be more to the story that I don't know. Anyway, the Generals were the last team to beat the Globetrotter. They weren't able to repeat last night.
 The talent level for the globetrotters did not seem as high as in past years. That is somewhat of a ambiguous statement as I have only seen them live twice, and prior to that as a child on television. The globetrotters I remember seeing on television are icons ! Those of my generation could not forget names like Curly and Meadowlark ! I don't remember them ever missing a shot ! This team did all the tricks and more but just didn't seem to be the same. In all fairness, no team could live up to that legacy. There will never be another Curly or Meadowlark, in the same way there will never be another Babe Ruth or Mickey Mantle.
 Well the truth is I went to see my Granddaughter perform. The Harlem Globetrotters were the secondary entertainment. Their purpose was to fill the time before the half. Some of you may recall I went last year as well. I thought it was pretty cool then and still think so now. Doing the halftime show for the Harlem Globetrotters ! I do think it is more of a big deal to my generation than it is to them. They do not have the memories of the heydey of the Globetrotters. I recall when they would appear on ABC'S Wide World of Sports ! They would be on other programs as well. Key players would be on talk shows and variety shows. They were a big deal ! Today not so much. Just a sign of the times I suppose. A little bit corny for the kids of today.
The girls debuted a new dance routine. It was quite flashy. I was videoing so only saw a portion of the program. That is the price you have to pay for being the videographer. I can only see a limited amount of the performance through the lens of the camera. Seldom do I see the performance as a whole. It is alright because I will see this routine many times over the next few months. The big showcase is coming up, I believe, sometime in March. This coming November the troupe will be performing at Disney ! They have been fundraising and planning for that for months now. Now that is something they are real excited about and with good cause. I mean, it's DISNEY ! I'm excited for them.
" To the Pointe " dance company with the world famous Harlem Globetrotters !

No comments:

Post a Comment