Sunday, February 8, 2015

Overreaching

I saw a brief article about a freshman senator. His name is Thom Tillis. He was being lambasted for saying. " the government should not force employees to wash their hands after using the restroom. " At least that is what the headline said. Reading into the matter a little further I discover what he is really saying. What he is saying is that he feels making that requirement a " law " is another example of government overreach. I tend to agree with his common sense approach. It is his contention that the industry ( food service ) will take care of that. He went on to say he is fine with it as long as the resteraunt posts a sign saying, " we do not require our employees to wash their hands before returning to work. "  I understand his point exactly. Do we really need our Congressman and Senators to draft legislation for this ? Do we really need the government to set laws in place about basic hygiene ? Is that the purpose of government ? And then how do we enforce this law ? Will employers be required to have " bathroom " police ? It does make me wonder.
Now I agree that hand washing is the single most important way of preventing the spread of disease. I don't need the government to know that information, it is kinda common sense isn't it ? Ah, but there is the problem, common sense ! Can we have common sense in government ? It would appear that it is impossible. Everything has to be written down. Have we become so progressive that we have abandoned common sense altogether ? I think the thing that struck me the most about this article was the number of senators that supported this proposed legislation. I can understand one or two but the number was much larger. And not only that, their attack upon this fellow senator for speaking out against it was unwarranted, in my opinion.
I elect officials in government to represent me. That is the purpose of these individuals, to represent the people of the United States. I wonder how many average citizens would support spending thousands of dollars  drafting legislation about hand washing ! I don't know about you but my tax dollars could certainly be better used. Employers already require employees to wash their hands ! I see the signs everywhere. State requirements dictate that policy. And now we need a federal law ? Well, what about employees having to shower and train their fingernails ? What about having to wear hair nets and face masks ? And not just when preparing that food, no when serving it as well. What about sanitizing the tables ? Is just wiping them off with a rag really sanitary ? Well, you get the idea.
We wonder why the government can not decide upon anything ? I think I can see why clearly enough. If we are going to spend time and money arguing over something as simple as washing your hands should we expect anything more ? 

No comments:

Post a Comment