Thursday, February 19, 2015

Historical figures

The internet and the material available on it are amazing. One does have to be careful as you can be redirected into areas that you would rather not go, but that is true in life as well. Yesterday I was browsing old newspapers. The East Hampton Star, whose motto is " it shines for all " is the paper of my youth. It is quite interesting to read about the events of  my youth, but events I don't really remember either.They were just the everyday things of life then and were paid little attention. A lot of the names and places are very familiar. Sometimes I am reminded of things and at others it is " news. " Hey, even old news is news.
One such news event that was reported involved several of my relatives. In the East Hampton Star when people had visitors from " away " that was reported. It was also reported if relatives returned to town for a visit. That was apparently the case in 1959 when my Dads' aunt and her husband came for a visit. They came to visit with my Uncle, Pete Reichart and his wife. They were joined by Uncle Petes' wife's parents as well. At one point my Uncle Pete took Uncle Mark fishing aboard his boat, The Bonac Devil, and they caught a 258 pound swordfish ! Pretty good catch. I think it is neat that they would report that in the paper. Well, I guess I shouldn't be surprised living in a fishing village.
In that same year, 1959, Uncle Pete, along with other volunteers were building a lodge for the girl scout camp. Uncle Pete was a contractor.The town had generously provided ground for a permanent girl scout camp on Old House Landing road. The lumber company in town, Frank B Smith, gave such a good price on the lumber that a larger structure than originally planned could be built. Now it was to be twenty foot by thirty foot and include a fireplace. The posts had already been set by the time of printing. Building on cedar posts set into the ground was a common method used back then. It allowed for air flow under the house and help prevent rot.
Uncle Petes' daughter Mary Ann belonged to that girl scout troop. At the time of the building she was a brownie but would " fly up " to girl scout in May of 1959. The article mentioned how generous some contributors had been, most notably the Ladies Village Improvement Society. It also mentions how the girl scouts were helping their own cause by selling the new forty nine star American flag ! It is that last line that jumped off the page at me. I knew about the girl scout camp and all those relatives of mine. I had heard stories about it and know the location of the camp, but somehow I missed the change to a forty nine star flag ! Of course, I was only five at the time so I guess I wasn't paying attention. It was in January of 1959 that Alaska was made a state. This article was written in May. By August of the same year I was six and Hawaii was admitted to the union. Then the girl scouts could start selling fifty star flags ! I'm betting there are not that many forty nine star flags around. Or maybe there is a surplus of them ?
It certainly is fun to read history, especially when you know the historical figures personally. I wonder what Uncle Pete and the others would think of that ? Being called a historical figure I mean. They are historical figures though and duly noted in the paper.I'm not sure if the camp is still there. That property, in " the hamptons " would surely be highly valued today. I do remember infiltrating that camp as a young man. I snuck in from the bay in a rowboat. That was much later than 1959 of course. Probably the summer of 1968 or thereabouts. I believe I was unseen. The truth is I didn't see much either. Well, it was a youthful adventure. Thankfully, it was not reported. 

No comments:

Post a Comment