Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Places,politics and dreams

I had an interesting little climb down the family tree, heading towards the roots. I passed through some places I had been before and visited with some new. It would seem at least one branch of my tree stayed fairly close to home. That is to say in the general area of their " planting " here in America. Of course there are many offshoots going in all directions. The reasons for these forays into distant lands are as different as the people that took them. I do think about all of that and wonder does one line have precedence over another ? What I'm asking here is, which line does the main root originate from ? Would it be the maternal or paternal side ? An argument could be made for either.
In my case the maternal side goes back at least nine generations here in America. It was a Bennett that sailed from England and settled in this land. He was married and had his children here. Those roots are firmly planted in American soil. Now, my Dad's family came from Germany. The first Reichart arrived about 1856 or so and are relative newcomers. But in their defense they married into an old established family here in America. They were of German descent as well, that much is true and comes as no surprise. Birds of a feather and all that. It was my paternal Grandfather that married into a very old English family. He married Clara Lester. Her family, the Lester's and King's,  had been in America since the earliest days.
I think that most of us want to identify with a certain group. It is just basic human nature, the desire to belong. We attempt to substantiate our claims with facts. Tracing the blood is one way in which we do that. That method can prove birthright,if there is such a thing, but cannot guarantee acceptance. Our outward appearance and position in society also influences that identity. From which branch of that tree do we receive nourishment ? That, I believe, will provide the answer to the " roots " of your raising, to coin a phrase. From which grouping were you taught the basic values that you cherish ? Mine, I would say, come more through the maternal side of my family. I was raised in the same general area as my maternal ancestors, I walked in their footsteps there. I engaged in many of the same activities as they did. My manner of speech is indicative of that area.
On the paternal side of my family, the Germans that immigrated here tried to assimilate to the culture. They didn't embrace their Germanic roots as much as adopt the American way. That, I think was the prevalent thing back in those days. They had no desire to be German-Americans they wanted to be Americans.
The study of where we came from is an interesting one. It not just about names and dates. It is about places,politics and dreams. Those three things are the influences that drive us. They still do. I am learning things about my family and their dreams. Some of these things are based in fact and some on speculation. I confess it is the unknown and unknowable that fascinates me the most. Speculation based in fact ? It would seem an oxymoron but it may be all I have. Then, again, I have been accused of telling stories. I will keep looking for the facts however. All great stories have some basis in truth or at the very least tell a truth. One day I may know the truth about me ! Maybe though, I'd be better off not knowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment