Wednesday, February 11, 2015

In season

I have been slowly developing a theory. It is a theory involving our diet. I'm not a scientist or researcher but I think this is something that should be looked into. And it is not so much concerned with the preservatives used in the processing of our food, or the genetic modification of that food. No, I think it is the variety in our diet that may be causing health issues. But not exactly variety, we have plenty available, maybe that is the problem.
What I'm stumbling to say is, just as the Bible says for everything there is a season, so too for our food. Back before we had refrigerated trucks delivering our perishables, or frozen foods, we were dependant upon the season. When we went to market that is what was available. Our diets were naturally adjusted according to the seasons. It is why the comfort foods of winter were developed and the light fare of summer. It was composed of what was available.
I'm thinking that many of us get stuck in a dietary rut these days. We can eat the things we like the best year round. No longer must we wait for the harvest. We can just consume whatever , whenever. Perhaps this is a violation of our biological clocks. Maybe it is a disruption of the grand scheme of things. Before all of this " modern " intervention we were pretty much forced into altering our diets. 
My theory is that we have too much available all the time. This abundance is what is causing some of the health issues we experience. Just as the advent of mechanization has caused the need for people to exercise to maintain fitness, which was accomplished by working, so too this non stop flow of food. The necessity of variety has not been removed from our diet, but it can be easily avoided. 
You could say that all this variety available to us is a good thing. I can see that argument as well. Variety in our diet is essential. The question is in what proportion ? My theory is that nature decides that. Yes it would depend upon where you live but the cycle is pretty much the same everywhere. There are growing seasons. I think if you live in the area where you were born that your body adjusts to that diet accordingly. Evidence of that is going elsewhere and eating their food. It doesn't always set well with us, does it ? Seems logical to me.
I also do not think you could argue that fresh foods are better for us than preserved ones. Fruits and vegetables grown in hothouse conditions certainly are not as flavorful. Even the bread and grains we eat today are modified in some way. If not when being grown then when being used. Yes it certainly is more convenient. It certainly is nice to be able to get whatever you want, whenever you want it. But, I can't help but theorize that it may not be a good thing. It is that way with a lot of other things too. Moderation in all things is also in the Bible. And maybe that is the root of the problem, self moderation. What nature used to do for us is now our responsibility. As a general rule we humans do not do a very good job at self denial. No, with us, it is all the food, all the time ! Well, just  a theory I have been working on. Not that I pay much attention to this theory in my own diet, I don't deny myself the pleasures of  products just because they are not in season here. Corn on the cob is still tasty in February and barbeque too. What I need is someone to practice this theory of mine for say forty years or so and measure the result. Any volunteers ? 

No comments:

Post a Comment