Thursday, February 26, 2015

Legally illegal

It has been reported on the news this morning that you can now smoke marijuana, legally, in Washington D.C. You just can't smoke it in public. Oh, and it is illegal to buy or sell marijuana in Washington, D.C. but you can grow three plants in your house. You can possess up to two ounces of pot and share an ounce with friends. Humm, very interesting.
Now for those of you that may not be aware Washington D.C. borders Maryland and Virginia. In Maryland it is also illegal to buy or sell marijuana. It is also illegal in Virginia. So, unless you are using a lot of miracle grow on those plants just where are you supposed to get this marijuana ? You can buy it illegally in Washington D.C. or elsewhere. Of course if you buy it outside of D.C. you would have to transport it across state lines.
Now if that doesn't sound like a lawyer writing a law, I've never read a law before. It is both legal and illegal in the same sentence ! Think about it. I can smoke pot legally inside a building, can't smoke cigarettes inside though but that is another issue, but smoking pot outside is against the law ! I can't buy or sell it, that is a criminal offense. It is illegal to buy or sell but legal to posses ! What ? I can grow three plants in my house. Again, can't grow them outside but can grow inside. What are we hiding here ? Is this activity not fit for public view ? Whatever, but I can have two ounces for personal use and share an ounce. Does that mean I can have three ounces total ? These two are mine and this one is for sharing ? That " sharing " ounce must be for the ones that don't want to buy it illegally or transport it across state lines ! Or maybe it is just for the ones that can't grow a plant of their own for some reason. Maybe the landlord won't allow that activity. The White House is in D.C. they could grow three plants there if they wanted, you know, to share with foreign dignitaries where it may be illegal in their countries.
I just can't help but shake my head about this nonsense. The federal government restricts the sale and production of marijuana. Remember it is still an illegal substance according to the federal government ! Now, Washington D.C. , the seat of our government makes this ridiculous law. Just how can you justify it ? Considering the former mayor of D.C. was busted for snorting cocaine and then subsequently re elected to the same office I shouldn't be surprised. So now it is alright to commit a criminal offense as long as you don't do it in public ! Say what ? Unless I grow my own plant I have to commit a crime to obtain a substance which I can then legally smoke in private. Makes sense.
Perhaps the most amazing part in all of this is there is no revenue being generated. I mean, at least in other places where it has been " legalized " taxes and fees are imposed. At least some revenue is being generated. Not that I agree with that but how is it that Washington is missing this opportunity ? The only way it makes sense is if they were smoking that crap when they wrote the law ! We don't want to hurt the brothers on the streets trying to make a living man. Yeah, it's cool it'll only be legal to smoke it, indoors. Yeah but I can't get busted buying that stuff. No problem bro, we will make it legal to share an ounce ! Cool, no bogarting, I like it. And that folks is how government works ! Oh yeah. Just like the founding fathers envisioned it !
The whole thing is just stupid ! It you are going to make it legal,make it legal ! If you are going to make it illegal,make it illegal ! To paraphrase an old saying my Dad often used, " Either smoke it or get off the pot ! 

No comments:

Post a Comment